Options

The next day, in the late afternoon, I went to Vince's house to try to understand what my options were. I showed him the bag with the money and told him how much was there.

"So, I was wondering if you could help me."

"Help you how?"

"What can I do with that kind of money?"

Vince leaned back in his armchair, visibly pitying me.

"Nothing," he replied.

"Not even a basic application?"

He just shook his head.

"What can I do with this money then?"

"I guess you could pay for your hotel bill... and that's about it."

Then I leaned back in my chair, stunned. I reached for a bottle of vodka.

"There's no cup. Let me get you a glass of..." he said and was about to get up, but I asked him to stay while I took a swig from the bottle. "Atta girl..."

I took a sip, two, three... but I still didn't feel the way I wanted. So I took a long swig, and Vince decided it was best to take the bottle from my hand. In all this movement, I got closer and kissed him.

"Rescue me once more," I asked.

"I can't," he replied, still with his pitying look.

"Pleeeeease," I asked, and then we leaned our heads against each other. I thought I was going to start crying, but then Vince pulled away to lean back in his chair again, lit a cigarette, and began to speak as if he were the owner of the world.

"Here's what you're gonna do. You are gonna go back to him..."

"What?"

"That is the only way out possible. You are gonna go back to that house and earn your way out from the inside out."

"But... through a divorce? I'm already in the middle of one..."

"Oh no darling," he said, taking a drag from the cigarette, then speaking again, pointing his cigarette-holding fingers at me. "There's more than one way to skin this cat. But you gotta be there. You have no power out here, in that silly hotel of yours."