Ch 22

"We're in a relationship now, and I believe in being open and honest with each other. So, I'll share something with you too. When I was a child, I was bullied for various reasons like my skin tone and body. It wasn't easy, but it shaped who I am today. That's why I decided to hit the gym. It wasn't just about protecting myself after what happened at the club, but also about getting fit and healthy so that nobody could say anything negative about me. Growing up, I was always on the curvier side. Back then, being curvy wasn't seen as a good thing. It was simply called fat. It wasn't as accepted as it is now. I used to think I looked good, but as I went to school, I constantly heard people calling me fat. It got to a point where I started believing it. I became insecure and didn't feel comfortable showing any skin or doing anything. 

There was a time when I exclusively wore hoodies to hide my appearance from others. I always felt unattractive to guys and believed that I would never find someone who truly cared about me. My mom would constantly reinforce this belief, saying that no guy would ever love or find me attractive. This belief was further reinforced in school, where no guy ever paid attention to me. It made me question if my mom was right. She would talk about my appearance, saying I was ugly and too dark. She would also tell me that I needed to lose weight, and it hurt a lot to hear those words from her. I always thought my mother would support me, but she never did. I was also bullied by others, especially the girls. 

They would hit me and make bets about me. Eventually, I realized that it wasn't difficult to figure out why the popular guys never talked to me. They only saw me as someone they could have sex with, not someone they would want to date. It was a humiliating experience, trying to understand what was wrong with me and why they targeted me. I still don't understand, and I don't think I ever will. I just wanted her to support me and tell me that I am beautiful. But instead, she joined in on the negativity," I said taking a deep breath after giving a speech practically.

You look stunning. You're absolutely gorgeous. It's pure jealousy. I mean, how could anyone call you ugly when you're this beautiful? You're not ugly, you're beautiful. And I'm really sorry about what your mom did, that's just insane. You'd expect a parent to support their child, not abandon them like that. Just know that I'll always be here for you, no matter what. If you ever feel insecure or anything, just tell me and we can do something about it. We can go for a makeover, go shopping, whatever it takes to boost our confidence. I just want to help you feel better about yourself.

I want to see you happy and confident. And if that means going on shopping sprees every week, I'm all in. Money is not an issue for me. So whatever you need, I'm here for you. I love you," he said, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"Yeah, babe, I really appreciate it. When my dad passed away in high school, it really hit me hard. He used to always tell me how beautiful and wonderful I was, and how great of a person I am. Losing him felt like losing a part of myself, someone who always made me feel wanted and loved. Dealing with his death was tough, especially since my mom didn't offer any sympathy. She made it seem like I should just move on, that there was no reason to be sad. But for me, it wasn't that simple. It took time to heal, and even after ten years, I'm still grieving. He missed out on witnessing my graduation, both from high school and college. There are so many moments I wish he could have been there for, like prom and all. It's painful to realize that my mom made it seem like my sadness and depression were just inconveniences. Our relationship has suffered because of her narcissistic behavior, and it still affects us today."

"You don't have to deal with negativity. You don't need any of that in your life because those kinds of people just bring you down, and I don't want that for you. Shine bright because you are an amazing person with big dreams to pursue, and I don't want anyone to hold you back from achieving them."

Yeah, you're right. I know. I don't care anymore. I tried with her and I don't want to keep on going back and forth with her on things when it's literally not gonna get through to her I know her. She will always be that person and I know it and I don't even care anymore. I care, but I don't care at the same time, I don't want to keep dwelling on it. But, yeah, that was my, my school experience, my school experience. What about you? I asked curiously as I stared into his mesmerizing green eyes.

" I'm not trying to be rude, but I was popular in high school. I played football and I did basketball so I was extremely popular. And, yeah, I don't want to bring that up too much because I feel bad because you're having such a horrible experience and then there's just me popular had all the girls and everything."

"You can totally share about your positive experience, it's awesome! I'm genuinely happy for you. I wish I had a good experience like yours."

He nodded and then changed the subject.

"Hey, do you feel like staying in today? It's Saturday. Maybe we can watch movies, chat, bond, and order pizza or something," he suggested as he reached for his phone on the kitchen counter.