Ch 9

"Hey Aaliyah, how are you doing today?"

"I'm good, but I have some bad news."

"What's going on? Are you okay? Did something happen?"

" Yes, something happened, but it was great, and I'm very happy. But I won't be working at the restaurant anymore. I got a new job, and I'm sorry, but I am quitting. "I would put in two weeks, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to start immediately."

"No, don't be sorry. I'm so happy for you that you finally can start working at a job that pays you more. You know, we love you here no matter what. If you need a place to work, if something goes wrong, or if you need extra money, let me know. You know, that you can always come back here. You're always welcome here. You're such a wonderful worker and I appreciate everything you did for us. So don't even worry about it. I'm so excited that you're going to start this, and you know that I'm your friend.

I'm not just a work friend; I'm your friend. So if you ever need anything, or you just want to hang out. Give me a call"

"Thanks, girl, I appreciate it. Sure, we're friends, and we'll celebrate soon after I move into my apartment," I said, holding onto the steering wheel tightly, trying to avoid a crash.

"Oh, you got an apartment too. That's great. Finally, getting away from that evil mother of yours".

"Yeah, I'm so happy that I am finally getting away from her. But yeah, so I just wanted to tell you that. I hope we can get together probably this weekend. That would be great if we could go to like a club, or if you can come over, we can do a little housewarming. Invite some of the girls from the restaurant for a small get-together since you guys are closed on Saturdays. So that would be perfect."

"Oh, yeah. I'll tell the girls, and we can set that up. I'll bring some wine glasses as a housewarming gift, and we can crack them in, and we can have fun. You know, get a little bit wild." A smile plastered across my face thinking about getting drunk with Shyla.

" Oh yeah, for sure. Let's do that. Ok. Well, I have to go because I have to finish moving."

"Have a great day, drive safe and I hope everything goes well. Thanks, girl. Bye bye"

I hung up the phone and I put it in the passenger seat. I'm relieved that the conversation with Shyla went well because I didn't want her to be angry at me for quitting without giving notice. After all, it tends to lead to nonrehireable status. Even though I didn't need that job on my resume or anything, I just didn't want to be labeled as nonrehirable.

I'm getting closer to my new apartment, and I'm starting to feel a mix of excitement and nervousness. I'm excited about this new chapter of my life, this new era of my life.

Once I get 10 minutes away from my place, I stop at a local coffee shop, so I can get some coffee. I need some energy so that I can be able to move these boxes into my place. I walked into the coffee shop and the first person I saw was Alexander. I didn't know he was going to be here. I didn't want to say anything to him because the encounter during the interview did not go too well. He seemed to be mad at me. So I decided to just go get in line, so I could get my coffee.

As I was in line I could feel eyes on me watching my every move. I decided not to give that person the attention that they craved. I decided to just continue to look forward. When it was my turn to order, I approached the barista and requested, "May I have a vanilla iced coffee with vanilla foam on top, please?

"Yes. Did you want anything else or is that it for you today?" she asked staring at me.

"No, that'll be it for me. "I responded politely with a smile on my face.

"Ok, that will be $5.50 cash or card?"

"I'll be using a card"

I pull out my card, swipe it, and wait for the approved sign to go across the kiosk and once it does, I walk away. Thank you so much. I yelled as I walked away, and then she gave me a light wave with a smile as I was waiting for my coffee to be done. I hear Alexander's name being called, and he walks up to where I am.

He picks up his coffee and gazes at me, "You weren't planning on saying anything to me, were you? I noticed you when you came in."

"Apologies, I assumed you didn't want to talk to me after today's events. So, I thought it's best to just stick to getting my coffee," I replied."

"What do you mean by 'today's events'?" he inquired, arching an eyebrow.

"Well, it seemed like you were upset with me. "I didn't want to create any tension between us, as you're not a fan of me, and that's okay."

He remained silent, his eyes filled with anger as they bore into mine. It was clear that I had once again made a mistake. "You have no idea who I like or dislike. Please refrain from assuming you know me because you don't. I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself and refrain from reading too much into things. You are clueless about me. Let's keep it that way," he stated before walking away. Another unpleasant encounter with my boss. I need to make a better impression on him if I want to keep this job. Otherwise, it seems like I won't have it for much longer. "Aaliyah," I heard my name being called, grabbed my coffee, and headed out to the U-Haul.

I put my coffee in a cupholder and I start the U haul.