Ch 18

"Oh, my goodness. I-I can't. Are you going to press charges? I hope you're pressing charges."

"No worries, I understand. I've got your back. I know you need some space after everything that's happened. But I really hope we can still be friends because you're my best friend and I don't want to lose that."

"I want you to know that I won't stop being your friend. It's not your fault at all. You can't control what other people do. I won't blame you for any of it because it's not your responsibility. You were just trying to be nice and set me up on a date. You had no idea it would turn out like this."

"Once again, I'm sorry and I don't want to keep you for too long. But if you ever want to hang out or if you need someone to talk to, I'm here for you. And whenever you're ready to fully talk about what happened, I'll be here to listen."

"I'm actually heading to the gym now because it's a great stress reliever. So feel free to text me later if you want to talk."

"Sure, I will text you. Stay safe and take care. I hope everything goes well for you."

"Thanks, girl. Take care and bye for now."

I start up the car and drive towards the gym. It's only about a 15-minute drive from my place. The drive goes by quickly, but as I pull up to the gym, I can't help but feel a bit nervous. My anxiety starts to kick in.

But I gather up my courage and step into the gym. As I look around, I notice that there are so many fit people here. I can't help but feel a bit out of place. I know that gyms are for everyone, regardless of weight or physique, but I can't help but wish more people looked like me. I walk up to the front desk to check in and sign up.

They are explaining to me all the amenities. When the guy is finally done he walks me around the gym showing me everything. I'm looking around at this beautiful gym when I see a beautiful person. The guy turns around and it's Alexander. He smiles and walks over to me. My hands start to get sweaty i wipe my hands on my sweats.

"Hey Aaliyah, great to see you here," he greeted her with a smile.

"Hey, Alexander."

"Hey Joe, I'll take over from here and show her around."

The guy nodded and walked away.

"So, you decided to come to the gym. How's your vacation been?" he asked as we walked.

"Truth or lie?"

"Definitely the truth."

"Not good, actually. I've been just lying in bed, not doing anything. Today is the first day that I'm actually doing something. I don't know, I just suddenly felt motivated to get up and work out."

"Hey, let's go sit in the juice bar lounge and catch up. Then we can work out together if you want," he suggested.

"Yeah, sure, just know that I'm new to this whole working out thing, so please don't judge me," I responded with a smile.

"Of course not, I wouldn't even think of it," he replied, returning the smile.

Being around him feels good, but I don't want to overanalyze things. I've been hurt too many times before, and I'm not ready to put myself out there again.

We made our way to the lounge and found an empty table to sit at.

"So, how's work been since I've been away? Do you miss me?" I asked playfully.

"Yeah, we've been struggling without you, but it's worth it because you've been through so much. Take all the time you need to heal. Do you want to talk about it? Anything at all?" he inquired.

"Not really, but if I want to move forward, I probably should," I admitted.

"I try not to dwell on it too much because it brings back painful memories. But I feel safe around you. When he had me trapped in that room, I was terrified and had no idea what would happen next. I felt trapped and almost gave up, but something inside me snapped and I fought back."

He gently squeezed my hand, and as I looked into his eyes, I felt a sense of calm wash over me.

"I felt so helpless and had no choice but to call you. My mom doesn't really care about me, and my friend is still on vacation and my only other friend is related to the guy. I couldn't exactly tell her that her cousin tried to assault me.

"Yeah, I understand. I'm glad you reached out to me. I may not have been the kindest person to you, but I genuinely care about you," he said.

"I really appreciate everything you've done for me. So, if you're okay with it, let's start our workout," I replied.

"Absolutely, let's do it," he said with a smile on his face.

We exercised for about an hour, mainly because he didn't want to push me too hard on my first day at the gym. We left the gym together, and I was feeling really nervous.

"I had a great time with you. If you're interested, we can continue working out together," he said.

"Yeah, definitely! As long as you don't mind me being a beginner," I replied, smiling.

"No, not at all. It's actually nice to have someone to work out with who's just starting out."

"Alright, I'll text you and we can figure out a schedule."

"Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to it!"

I go in for a hug, and he hugs me back. I rest my head on his chest, hearing his heartbeat. Stepping back from the hug, I gaze into his eyes and lean in for a kiss. Just before our lips meet, he interrupts.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have... I should go," I mumble, turning to leave.

"Wait, I didn't mean to-"