Ch 7

I don't want to do a full face for the interview since I usually don't do that regularly. I look at myself in the mirror, satisfied with how I look.

I grabbed my phone and looked at the time. I had about forty-five minutes until the interview. I got everything together and headed out the door. I see a note on the table while walking out that my mom must not be coming home anytime soon. I'm not complaining, but she will be shocked when she returns home when all my stuff is gone. I get in the car and start the journey to the interview. I got there with ten minutes to spare. I went up to the lady up front.

"Good afternoon, ma'am. I am here for an interview," I said politely.

"What's your name?"

"Aaliyah Bailey"

"All right, Mr. Miller is ready for you. You made a smart choice by arriving early. He's going to be impressed," she replied, smiling. I started to walk away but she stopped me. "His office is on the fifth floor. He has the whole floor to himself, so you shouldn't get lost. Make sure you knock twice before walking in," she said.

I go into the elevator, and I push number five. When I got to the floor, I exited the elevator. My palms were sweaty, so I dried them on my pants.

I knocked on the door twice, and the person on the other end said to come in.

I opened the door, and my heart dropped. I couldn't believe it.

It was him, the guy from the restaurant, who helped me. I couldn't believe he was there. I realized I was staring at him because I heard him clear his throat. "Will you stand there and look at me like an idiot or take a seat? I don't have all day", he looks at me sternly. Honestly, he seems like he hates me, and that's not a good sign. I walk to the seat in front of his desk and sit down. "Please state your full name so that I can make sure I have the right resume in front of me," he said, looking down at the resume in front of him.

"Aaliyah Bailey," I murmured tenderly. I was scared; I thought I had the job practically because of my resume, but now that I am here, I'm not too sure, which means I won't be able to get the apartment. "Alright, let's get on with the interview then. "So I'm going to ask you some personal questions, and then we will discuss your work history," he said looking at me intently with his cold eyes that I couldn't read. 

"Sounds good," I said, stuttering a little trying not to sound like I'm afraid but I'm truly terrified. "Okay, so where do you see yourself in five years?" he asked, looking at me with an emotionless expression. "I see myself as a business owner. I want to own a floral shop," I responded with a light smile. "Why a floral shop?" he asked, leaning snack into his chair and putting one leg over the other. "I've always loved flowers. They look very pretty and smell good. Plus, I've always loved nature," I said rubbing my sweaty hands on my pants.

"What are your weaknesses?', he asked, not taking his eyes off me. I averted my eyes to the tie around his neck so that I didn't have to hold eye contact with him. His eyes send shivers down my spine when I look into them too long.

 "My weaknesses are that I'm a perfectionist and pay too close attention to detail," I replied. "What are your strengths?" he asked immediately after the last question, not allowing me to take a breath. 

"My strengths are creativity, communication, emotional intelligence, teamwork, time management, critical thinking, and more. I am good at adapting. If I am properly trained, or something is at least demonstrated to me, I will have it down," I said. His cold eyes look at me unimpressed. He raised one of his eyebrows still looking at me intently. This interview isn't going anyway, so I'll address the elephant in the room. 

"Is there an issue? You have been acting extremely rude since I walked in here," I said as my hands started to get sweaty. He looked at me with a sudden anger clouding his eyes, yet he didn't say anything. He just stared at me. I was scared to continue, but it's too late now.

 "I know you remember me from yesterday, and you are reacting as if you don't care. You most likely don't, but that doesn't mean you have to be an asshole to me. I didn't ask for any of this. The way you acted yesterday was so rude you just walked away. I'm sorry you regret helping me, but it still doesn't give you the right to behave the way you are. I know I won't get this job, so I'm just going to go," I said, getting out of my seat grabbing my purse, and heading toward the door.

As soon as my hand made contact with the doorknob and turned it, the door was slammed shut. Startled by the sudden movement, I instinctively jumped back. I turned around to find Alexander standing directly in front of me. I cautiously stepped back towards the door, putting some distance between us. When my back met the door, I stood there motionless, attempting to hold back tears. I had never been in such close proximity to a man before.

"I apologize, sir," I uttered, meeting his furious gaze. I felt foolish for speaking up in the first place. I don't understand why I said those things; now I'm out of a job.

"What gives you the impression that you know me?"

"Sir I—"

He raised his hands, silencing me.

"If I had no intention of helping you, I wouldn't have," he stated, leaning in so that our faces were inches apart. "Next time, refrain from assuming my feelings, do you understand?"

I nodded vigorously.