Ch 10

I'm trying to forget everything that just happened in the coffee shop because I don't want to have a bad boss. I don't want to upset him and risk him being disrespectful toward me as I simply want things to go smoothly. I need this job to afford my apartment. If I continue making mistakes, I could end up without a job and be homeless. I cannot go back to my mom's house after what I just did.

So I just needed to be way more careful with how I speak to him and how I do things because if I don't be careful, he will fire me and I do not want that to happen at all. As I'm driving down the road, I'm getting closer and closer to the apartment. I remember the roads leading up to the apartment, and I'm starting to get excited. I see the big sign and the gate, I turn right and stop at the gate. I put in the code and the gate opens.

Luckily I live on the bottom floor. So I don't have to haul the big boxes upstairs. The only thing is I have no furniture. I didn't take the bed with me because it would have been too hard for me to carry by myself. So I'm left with nothing, no furniture, no anything, but I don't care. I'll just have it delivered tomorrow from a local furniture store that I've been looking into.

I get out of the U haul so that I can start taking my things into my apartment. But I forgot that I hadn't gotten the keys from the front office yet.

I parked the U haul in front of the apartment and I walked over to the front office. It's not too far away from the apartments. After about a few minutes I go in.

"Oh, hey, Aaliyah, how are you?"

"I'm good I'm sorry, I got all my stuff, the U haul. It's parked in front of the apartment, but I forgot that I didn't get the key yet and I have to give you guys the rest of the money for the apartment"

"Oh, yeah. Yeah, of course. you, if you wanna just step into the office so we can sign paperwork and we can get everything situated so that you can get in your apartment right now".

"Thank you"

I followed her into the office where we did all the paperwork I gave her all the money that was needed so that I could be in my apartment today.

Once we were done, we shook hands and we went about our days. I walk back to the apartment with the keys in my hand. I get into the apartment and look around, it's beautiful. I already knew what it looked like online, but I didn't get a chance to look at it in person. I do a little walk-through quickly, admiring all the amenities that I have.

It's beautiful. I love it so much. I set the keys down on the counter and I spin around like in the movies. I feel like a little kid who went to the ice cream shop for the first time and finally got to get the flavors they wanted.

That's how I feel I feel like a child and I love this feeling and I never want to not feel like this again. After admiring my apartment for a few minutes, I decided that I needed to hurry up and get my stuff out of the car so I could start unpacking because I had to work tomorrow. I go outside, open the u haul, and start to get my stuff out.

"Hey, do you need some help?" I heard someone yell from behind me I jumped startled by the voice.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you I just wanted to offer my assistance.

I glance to my side and notice a young lady standing there.

"If you don't mind, that would be wonderful," I reply, flashing her a friendly smile.

"My name is Brandy. I couldn't help but notice that you're moving in," she remarks.

"Yes, that's correct," I confirm.

"Well, welcome! I happen to live right next door. I'm thrilled to finally have someone I can have a conversation with who isn't elderly and grouchy," she chuckles. I join in her laughter, finding her joke quite amusing.

I grinned as I mentioned, "I'm happy too since I could use more friends." She chuckled at my words, and soon we were both laughing together. "By the way, what's your name? Where are you from? What's the story?," she asked, leaning against the U-Haul. "I'm Aaliyah, born and raised in California, and I recently moved out of my mom's place after returning from college. Living with her was driving me nuts, so I decided to get my apartment," I explained.

"I'm Brandy, and I'm also from California. The reason I ended up in this apartment complex is because I had some serious issues with my ex. He was a real cheater, you know? So, I decided it was time to break free and start taking care of myself. And here I am," she shared, a faint smile gracing her face. Her expression made it clear that her ex was a touchy subject. "I'm sorry to hear that," I sympathized, offering her a comforting smile to brighten her day a bit.

She shrugged and said, "No worries. I've moved on. It happened, and I won't beat myself up about it anymore. I'm done dwelling on it. I'm just going to focus on living my life." With her hands raised in the air, it was clear she wasn't completely okay, but I decided not to push her at the moment. "Absolutely," I replied.

"Alright, let's start the moving process. I'll handle the heavy lifting, and you can guide me to the right spots," she mentioned, swiftly grabbing the nearest item from the U-Haul. "Don't stress. We'll simply stack everything inside for now, and later on, I'll sort out the placement," I assured, heading towards the front door and propping it open to make everything more convenient.