Chapter 81: In My Eyes

ELEANOR'S POV

Alice was shaking in fear as she sat across from me at the dinner table. She wouldn't meet my gaze, instead staring down at her plate, pushing her food around with her fork.

I tried to speak to her, to find out what was wrong, but she just shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes.

My maids, who were passing by the dining room, glanced at me with wide eyes, hurriedly scurrying away from the scene.

I could feel the anger building up inside me as I watched my daughter cower in fear.

What had I done to make her so terrified of me?

I slammed my hand on the table, causing the dishes to rattle and the glasses to clink.

"TALK TO ME, ALICE!" I shouted, my voice echoing through the room. "TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG!"

But Alice remained silent, her shoulders hunched in fear. I could see the terror in her eyes, and it only fueled my anger further.

I stood up from my chair, pacing back and forth as I yelled at her, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"

And even the maids and the guards looked so terrified.

I didn't understand why everyone seemed so scared of me. I didn't understand why my own daughter and people wouldn't speak to me.

All I knew was that I needed answers, and I would do whatever it took to get them. But as the silence stretched on, and the fear in the room intensified.

Alice's sobs grew louder at my harsh words, and I felt a pang of guilt deep within me. I couldn't understand why I was saying such things, why I was being so cruel to my own daughter.

But the anger still brewed inside me, clouding my judgment and controlling my actions.

I continued to eat my dinner in angry silence, the tension in the room thick and suffocating.

I could feel the eyes of the maids on me, their fear visible as they avoided my gaze, scurrying around the room in a frantic dance of avoidance.

"STOP CRYING, ALICE," I barked, my voice laced with frustration. "WE CAN GO SHOPPING TOMORROW. DO YOU HEAR ME?"

Alice's cries only intensified, her shoulders shaking with each sob. I could see the pain and fear in her eyes, and a part of me wanted to reach out to her, to comfort her and apologize for my cruel words.

But the anger within me refused to let go, keeping me trapped in a cycle of aggression and hostility.

As I glanced around the room, I could see the fear etched on the faces of my maids, their gazes darting away from me as if I were a ticking time bomb ready to explode at any moment.

"Alice, why won't you even talk to me?" I demanded, my voice shaking with rage. "What's wrong? Is something wrong? You're always like this, just sitting there, silent and unreachable. It's like you're trying to drive me crazy!"

The words spilled out of me like a pent-up storm, and I felt my anger boiling over.

I slammed my fist down on the table, making the silverware jump and the glasses tremble.

Alice didn't flinch. Didn't even look up.

I felt a surge of fury and humiliation. "YOU'RE NOT EVEN LISTENING TO ME! YOU'RE NOT EVEN TRYING TO UNDERSTAND! YOU'RE JUST SITTING THERE, WAITING FOR ME TO GO AWAY."

I couldn't contain myself anymore. I leapt up from the chair, my hands clenched into fists, and stormed out of the room.

I slammed the door behind me, feeling a sense of relief wash over me as I retreated to the safety of my bedroom.

But even as I collapsed onto the bed, my chest heaving with exhaustion, I knew this wasn't over. Not by a long shot.