Chapter 36: Florence and Eugene's Past

MAGDALENA'S POV

I lay in the small shelter in the woods, feeling sick and utterly exhausted.

Life had dealt me a difficult hand, and I had found help in this humble refuge.

It had been so long since I had seen my son, Thomas, and the mere thought of his presence brought a glimmer of hope to my weary heart.

And then, as if by some miracle, Thomas appeared before me.

Tears streamed down his face as he enveloped me in a tight, heartfelt embrace.

The warmth of his embrace washed away the pain and loneliness that had consumed me for far too long.

"I've missed you so much, mother," Thomas choked out between sobs.

His words echoed with a mix of longing and disbelief.

I could see the shock in his eyes as he mentioned his knowledge of his half-sibling relationship with Eleanor.

Taking a deep breath, I mustered the strength to explain everything—the complicated web of relationships, the secrets that had been kept hidden for far too long.

I shared the truth about his father, Eugene, and how our love had endured even after our paths diverged.

Thomas listened intently, his eyes searching mine for answers. "But how?" he asked, his voice filled with genuine curiosity. "How can Florence and Eugene still be together when he loved you more?"

A bittersweet smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I recalled the depth of Eugene's love for me. "Love is a complex and mysterious thing, my dear," I replied, my voice tinged with a mix of nostalgia and acceptance. "While Eugene loved me deeply, life doesn't always follow the path we expect. Sometimes, circumstances and choices lead us down unexpected roads."

FLASHBACK:

I couldn't help but overhear Eleanor's tearful confession to her mother, Florence, about how she caught me and Eugene the other time.

I could feel Florence's glare piercing through me, as if she had some hidden intentions.

I tried to make amends by visiting their mansion, but the tension between Florence and Eugene continued to escalate and I overhear them physically fighting.

Days later, I saw Florence leaving Nelson's house with a small bottle in her hand.

She poured the mysterious liquid into Eugene's drink before handing it to him, seemingly unaware of my presence.

That was the last time I saw Eugene, and something definitely felt off about the situation.