Chapter 49: Consequences

Aiden's anger burned like a raging fire as he confronted Eleanor, his voice filled with a mix of fury and anguish.

The weight of Thomas' execution rested heavily on his shoulders, and he held Eleanor accountable for her betrayal.

"How could you, Eleanor? How could you betray Thomas and Astrid like that? You told Matt where they were hiding, and now Thomas is facing execution because of you!"

Eleanor's eyes darted around, her voice trembling with denial and guilt.

"Aiden, I didn't... I didn't tell anyone anything! I would never do something like that to them!"

Aiden's frustration mounted, his voice rising to a crescendo as he lashed out at Eleanor.

"Stop lying, Eleanor! I saw the look on Matt's face when he found them. He knew exactly where to go, thanks to you! Thomas wouldn't be facing death right now if you hadn't opened your mouth!"

Tears welled up in Eleanor's eyes as the realization of her actions hit her with full force.

Regret etched deep lines on her face as she struggled to find the words to defend herself.

"I... I didn't mean for this to happen. I didn't think it would come to this. I was just scared, Aiden. I thought I was doing the right thing."

Aiden's anger simmered, his voice now filled with a mixture of sorrow and disappointment.

"Your attitude can make us do terrible things, Eleanor. But you have to understand the consequences of your choices. Thomas and Astrid trusted us, and you broke that trust. Now, we've lost him, and they've lost everything."

A wave of realization crashed over Eleanor, her shoulders slumping in defeat. The weight of her actions settled upon her, and she crumbled under its burden.

"I never wanted this. I never wanted any of this to happen. I'm so sorry, Aiden."

Aiden turned away, his sadness visible as he struggled to find solace or understanding in the midst of their shattered world.

"Sorry won't bring Thomas back. Sorry won't fix this. I need some time alone, Eleanor. I can't be around you right now."

With those words, Aiden stormed out of the room, leaving Eleanor haunted by the consequences of her choices.

The weight of her betrayal pressed heavily upon her as she stood in the wake of the devastating fallout.