Chapter 20: Pregnancy

THOMAS' POV

I toiled in the fields under the warm sun at the peaceful rice field, I spotted Astrid riding her horse gracefully in the distance.

A wide smile spread across my face at the sight of her, and I felt an overwhelming urge to share a lighthearted moment with her.

I called out to her, "Astrid! How are you doing up there on your majestic steed?"

Upon hearing my voice, Astrid sighed and rolled her eyes, clearly not in the mood for my antics.

I couldn't blame her – I knew she was going through a tough time after her painful relationship.

"Hey, I'm just trying to cheer you up. You know I'm here for you, right?"

Ignoring my attempt at humor, Astrid replied sternly, "Thomas, I appreciate your concern, but right now, I just need some space. I'm not in the mood for jokes or distractions."

My heart sank as I realized the gravity of the situation. Astrid was hurting, and my lightheartedness was only making things worse.

"Alright, Astrid. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make things harder for you. Just know that I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to."

With a mix of guilt and concern, I watched as Astrid rode her horse away, hoping that my words had at least offered some comfort.

As I walked back to my field, my heart ached for my dear acquaintance.

AIDEN'S POV

The sun was setting and casts a glow on the wooden exterior of my modest house. I had just returned home, exhausted from a long day at the mill, when I heard a commotion at the door.

My heart raced as I opened it, only to find Eleanor standing there, her eyes filled with tears.

"Aiden, I need to talk to you," she whispered, her voice trembling. I could sense something was terribly wrong, but I couldn't have imagined the shock that awaited me.

"Get out!" I yelled.

"Please, it's important"

I sighed, "Come in," I managed to say, my mind racing as I tried to decipher her expression.

She stepped inside, her eyes darting around the room as if searching for an escape. I closed the door, the sound echoing through the quiet space.

"Aiden, there's something I need to tell you," she began, her voice barely audible. I felt a knot forming in my chest, a sense of dread creeping in. "I...I'm pregnant."

The words hit me like a hammer, and for a moment, I couldn't breathe.

Pregnant? With my child? It seemed impossible. I stared at her, my mind reeling as I tried to process this new reality.

"Aiden, please," Eleanor pleaded, her voice growing more desperate. "You're the father."

My world shattered. How could she do this to me? To us? I felt a surge of anger coursing through my veins, my heart pounding in my chest. I stumbled backward, my mind racing as I tried to comprehend the situation.

"NO!" I screamed, my voice echoing through the wooden walls of my home. "THIS CAN'T BE TRUE!"

I felt a wave of nausea wash over me as I realized the implications of her words. I was going to be a father.

"NO! NO! NO! THIS CAN'T BE, I AM NOT GOING TO BE A FATHER OF THAT BASTARD!"

I felt disgusted, angry, and utterly helpless.

Eleanor stood before me, her eyes filled with tears, pleading for understanding. But all I could feel was rage.

"HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME, ELEANOR?" I demanded, my voice shaking with emotion. "YOU RUINED OUR LIVES, YOU RUINED MY LIFE AND YOU RUINED ASTRID'S LIFE!"

She tried to explain, her words a jumbled mess of apologies and explanations, but I couldn't listen.

I couldn't bear the thought of being trapped in this web of deceit and responsibility.

"GET OUT!" I yelled, my fists clenched at my sides. "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE AND NEVER COME BACK!"

I watched in horror as Eleanor's face crumpled, her eyes filling with tears that threatened to spill over.

She looked at me with a mixture of pain and disbelief, then turned and fled from my home.

The door slammed shut behind her, leaving me alone in the quiet darkness of my wooden house.

I sank to the floor, my hands covering my face as I tried to make sense of the situation. A child.

A child that I was supposed to care for, to provide for, and to love. A child that I didn't even want.

As the silence in my home lingered, I heard the familiar sound of footsteps approaching my door.

My heart raced as I wondered who could be coming to visit at this hour.

The door creaked open, and in walked my parents, their faces etched with concern.

"Aiden, what on earth happened?" my mother asked, her eyes scanning my disheveled appearance.

Her voice was filled with worry, and I could tell she was trying to remain as calm as possible.

"Father, you won't believe what Eleanor has done," I said, my voice shaking with emotion. "She's pregnant, and I don't know how to handle this."

My father's face turned a deep shade of red, and he stepped closer to me, his eyes narrowing. "HOW COULD YOU LET THIS HAPPEN, SON?" he demanded, his voice filled with anger. "YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE CAREFUL!"

I could feel the sting of his words, but I knew I had to be honest with them. "I didn't know about the baby until today, father," I admitted. "Eleanor forced me and now I'm supposed to just accept this and be a father?"