Chapter 50: Anguish

ASTRID'S POV

I felt a surge of determination as I faced my father, demanding to see Thomas.

The anguish in my heart pushed me forward, urging me to confront the reality of his fate.

My father reluctantly agreed, leading me through the dark corridors towards the dreaded dungeon.

The heavy door creaked open, revealing a scene that would forever haunt my nightmares.

Thomas' head, once filled with life and cheerfulness, now impaled on a spike, a grotesque display of cruelty and power.

The sight struck me with a force so powerful that it stole the breath from my lungs.

I stumbled backward, my hands flying to my mouth in a futile attempt to stifle the anguished cries that escaped.

Tears streamed down my face, my vision blurred by grief and disbelief.

The world around me faded into a blur of pain as the weight of the loss crashed upon me like a relentless wave.

Anger surged through me, replacing the initial shock.

My sorrow transformed into a searing rage, directed towards the merciless hands that had taken Thomas away from me.

The fire of vengeance burned within me, fueling a determination to make those responsible pay for their heinous acts.

"How dare you!" I screamed, my voice trembling with a potent mix of sorrow and fury. "You monsters! You took him from me! You took everything!"

My father stood there, his face devoid of remorse, a twisted smile playing on his lips as he reveled in my pain.

His cold gaze only fueled my anger, intensifying the need for justice to be served.

Through tear-blurred eyes, I locked gazes with Thomas one last time, his lifeless visage etched into my memory.

With a trembling hand, I reached out, caressing the air where his face once was.

My voice, a broken whisper, carried my love
and my vow.

"I won't let them get away with this, Thomas. I promise you. They will pay."

"Okay, Astrid, stop with the act and let's go home"

"No, Father," I spoke with a firmness that surprised even me. "I will live in this dungeon. I will witness the darkness you have brought upon this world, and I will never forget what you have done."

My father's laughter faltered, replaced by a flicker of uncertainty in his eyes. He had not expected this level of defiance from his own daughter, especially in the face of such tragedy.

"You think I'm joking?" I continued, my voice strong and loud. "I demand to stay here, in this desolate place that matches the darkness of your soul. I want to be a constant reminder of the pain you have inflicted upon innocent lives."

"You underestimate me, Astrid," he sneered. "You think a little time in this dungeon will change anything? You have no idea what I am capable of."

His words only fueled the fire within me. I squared my shoulders, meeting his gaze with unwavering determination.

"I may not know exactly what you're capable of, but I know one thing for certain," I said, my voice laced with defiance. "I will never let you break me, Father. I will fight for justice, for Thomas, and for all those you have wronged."

With that, my father turned and left me alone in the dungeon, his laughter trailing behind him.