Chapter 43

Sadie had trouble focusing on her lessons throughout the next day. so great was her anxiety. Sirius kept shooting her worried glances but didn't get an opportunity to talk with her until they were leaving dinner to walk to their respective detentions. As they exited the Great Hall, he pulled her gently into a small alcove.

"You're really feeling nervous about him, aren't you?" He frowned. "Why? Has something happened that you haven't told me about?"

Sadie bit her lip, unsure how to respond. The fact was that Averett hadn't really ever done anything beyond acting friendly with her, and she didn't have anything substantial to justify her worries. She wasn't even sure what she was concerned about, if she was being honest. "No..." she answered Sirius hesitantly. "Nothing like that. I don't really know how to explain it. I'm probably just not used to a professor being so...well...nice. It's probably nothing."

Sirius held her gaze searchingly for another moment before looking down at his watch and frowning. He reached into his bag and pulled out a mirror that she recognized as one from the set he and James often used to chat when they were in separate detentions. "I snagged this from James earlier. I've got mine. You know how to work it, right? Just look at it and say my name clearly. I'll be there in a flash if you need me, okay?"

Sadie took a deep breath and stowed the mirror in her own bag, smiling at him gratefully. "Thank you for not telling me I'm being ridiculous. I know I probably am."

"Maybe," he shrugged. "I hope you are and that there's nothing to worry about. But I'd rather you have a way to get ahold of me. Just in case." He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead and another to her lips before they ducked out of the alcove and went their separate ways.

The sight that greeted Sadie upon entering Professor Averett's office was anticlimactic to say the least. He was sitting at his desk, brow furrowed as he scanned the parchment in front of him, occasionally marking things in red ink. A tea set with two cups and a plate of biscuits sat in the middle of the desk. He glanced up at her and smiled wearily, gesturing to the seat across from him.

"Good evening, Miss Potter. Have a seat."

Sadie took a deep breath and slid into the chair, setting her bag down on the floor next to her. Professor Averett was looking back down at the paper he was grading. He made a few more marks before sighing and placing it on the top of the stack of essays to his left. He straightened and clasped his hands together on the desk, smiling pleasantly.

"How do you like your tea, Miss Potter?"

"Oh! Um..." The truth was that Sadie didn't actually like tea, but she was rather caught off guard, her professor was looking at her expectantly, and she hated to be rude. "Cream and two sugars, please."

He nodded and gave his wand a quick flick to send the kettle and spoons into action before handing her a cup. She thanked him quietly and forced herself to take a small sip. To her surprise, she found it to be quite delightful and took a longer drink before setting the cup down. Professor Averett sat back in his chair and regarded her carefully.

"I feel I owe you an apology, Sadie." Sadie blinked in surprise, and he gave a tired chuckle. "Yesterday was a rather...trying day for me. I was just about to get ready for bed when a student came and informed me that she thought she had seen a couple of students getting up to some mischief in one of the classrooms down the hall. I'm afraid I was in quite a foul mood already when I walked in on you and Mr. Black." Sadie felt her face heat up, and she looked away from him uncomfortably at the memory of just what he had seen the night before. "I conducted myself in a manner that I'm not proud of, and I hope that you can find it in you to forgive me for my harshness."