Chapter 31

Over a week had passed since Sadie and Sirius had spoken to each other. Part of it was that Sadie spent most of her time holed up in her dormitory studying for O.W.L.s, but even when they were in close proximity, they both carefully avoided looking at each other. James and Remus had tried their darnedest to pull Sadie aside and talk to her about things but to no avail. Finally, one morning, James got his golden opportunity.

Sadie had just stepped into the common room when a sudden howling of pain sounded from up the staircase to the boys' dorms. The common room went silent as people stared, wide-eyed, in the direction of the screaming. It stopped after a moment, and nervous chatter slowly resumed. Sadie's eyes fell on her brother who was lounging in an armchair and trying desperately not to look too smug. Her eyes narrowed, and she approached him.

"Alright, what did you do this time?" She asked him quietly. At that moment, Gideon entered the common room. His face was beet red, and his jaw was set angrily as he shuffled stiffly across the room and through the portrait hole. James sniggered.

"Let's just say he won't be sticking his man parts anywhere they don't belong for a little while. Boils and swelling tend to make that a little uncomfortable, or so I hear anyway."

Sadie's mouth fell open. "You didn't!"

"It was Sirius's idea," he shrugged. Sadie's heart skipped a beat, and James gave her a sidelong glance. "Speaking of Sirius..."

"Can we not do this?" She interrupted. She made to turn and leave, but he grabbed her arm gently.

"He's a wreck, Sade! He told me what happened, and he feels awful! Can't you just...talk to him about it?"

Sadie bit her lip. "I just...need some time, okay? This is really painful for me."

"So why don't you fix it?!" James rubbed his face in frustration. "Can't you just get over it?"

"It isn't that simple, Jamie!" She scowled at him, feeling rather hurt that he would just dismiss her feelings like that. "I would think you of all people would get that!" He looked a bit confused at that but didn't have time to respond before she sighed. "I've been thinking. It's probably best if I stay here tonight during the full moon. Having Sirius and me both there would complicate things, and he's more helpful to Remus than I am."

James frowned and opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by Alice rushing through the portrait hole. Her eyes fell on Sadie, and she hurried over, looking anxious.

"You need to come. Mary's been attacked again."

Sadie's stomach dropped. She nodded curtly and glanced briefly at her brother before following Alice briskly out of the room and toward the hospital wing. When they entered, Mary was already surrounded by Lily, Marlene, and Sirius, who had apparently been in the hospital wing already, visiting Remus. Sadie ignored the pounding of her heart as she approached, making sure to stand as far from Sirius as possible while still getting close to Mary.

"What happened?" She asked softly, but as she took in Mary's appearance, she realized she didn't need anyone to answer. Mary was covered in what looked like slash-marks. Sadie inhaled sharply as she was hit with a sudden flashback of Snape's twisted smirk as he used his wand to slice open her leg and side. Marlene spoke angrily, forcing her back to the present.

"We were just walking to breakfast, and it came out of nowhere. We don't know who did it."

"Could it have been Mulciber again?" Lily asked tearfully.

Sadie shook her head and spoke without thinking. "No. This looks like Snape's work." She realized her mistake too late as Sirius's gaze shot toward her for the first time in days. She winced and cursed herself inwardly before slowing looking up to meet his eyes. She barely registered Lily's protests in defense of her friend as she saw Sirius's face darken in anger. He suddenly turned and strode quickly out the door, and Sadie stood frozen for a moment before bolting after him, heart hammering in panic.