chapter 24.

Jungkook's POV

"Two lines," I mumbled as I stared at the little plastic stick in my hand.

It felt so heavy in my fingers despite it being so lightweight.

Silence stretched between us and the only sound was the rhythmic tick-tock of the clock on her nightstand, each tick echoing in the quiet room.

Finally, Rosé spoke, "don't worry," she said, "it's probably not yours."

I stared at her, "how do you know?"

"We always use protection, you dumbass," she replied bluntly, pausing before adding, "and you're not the only one I've slept with recently."

I exhaled heavily, closing my eyes briefly. I was relieved, yet the sudden news still weighed heavily on my mind.

"I wish it was you though," she confessed, prompting me to open my eyes and turn to face her.

"Why?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Because I know you," she answered, locking eyes with me. "I trust you." For the first time, I truly saw the raw fear and worry etched across her face.

"Who is it then?" I pressed, but she just shrugged her shoulders in response.

"I don't know, some random stranger I met," she replied casually, rising from the bed and taking the stick from my hand.

"What?!" I exclaimed.

"Did you know that this is the seventh test I've taken today?" she said, holding up the stick before tossing it into the trash bin, ignoring my reaction.

Rosé stood there for a long moment, then turned and walked out of the bedroom.

Still stunned by the news, I stared blankly at the empty doorway for a few seconds before I could get myself together. Finally, I slowly followed her to the kitchen.

Reaching the kitchen, I found her standing in front of the fridge, its cold light reflecting in her eyes. She pulled out a pitcher of water, her movements almost robotic as she filled a glass.

"So, about this guy," I started hesitantly, "are you going to tell him?"

Rosé slammed the fridge door shut. "Why would I?"

"Because it's his responsibility too, don't you think?" I asked, taking a seat on a stool at the counter.

Rosé scoffed, rolling her eyes. "I don't need a man to take care of this," she said, her voice tight. "I can handle it myself." Her eyes darted around the room, refusing to meet mine, and her jaw clenched tight.

"What's your plan then?" I asked.

"I'll raise the baby on my own," she replied with a shrug, her tone surprisingly resolute. "I can do it.

Despite her tough words, I could see the worry in her face. My eyes softened as I looked at her.

No matter how much she tried to hide it, I know she felt scared.

"Why don't you just tell your mom?"

She forced a small smile, meeting my gaze for a moment. "I will," she said, meeting my eyes. "when the baby's old enough to drive itself to school."

"You're unbelievable," I chuckled, shaking my head in disbelief.

"I really thought the baby was mine for a second," I confessed, feeling a surge of emotions wash over me as I buried my face in my hands.

"Well, it still could be," she said lightly, and I shot up, eyes wide with surprise.

"Seriously?" I blurted out, completely thrown by her words.

Instead of answering, she just laughed, a dull smile that didn't quite reach her eyes before turning and walking away towards her room.

"Go get some sleep," she said over her shoulder, her voice softer now.

"Thanks for being here for me tonight." With that, she closed her bedroom door, leaving me alone in the kitchen.

Just as I was trying to sort through everything that had happened, a sudden buzz cut through the silence. It was my phone, vibrating in my pocket. Glancing at the screen, I saw a notification from our group chat ― a message from Momo:

"Since y'all probably miss me, party at my place on Saturday 7pm. Clear your schedules!"

The message continued with another one, specifically addressed to me:

"@Jungkook, you better get here EARLY on Saturday. I need a cook."