chapter 14.

Sana's POV

I managed to leave the hospital. For the most part, it is 'cause I got so scared. I didn't know anyone there. The memories of Wonsik's accident haunted me still, the sight of him wheeled into the hospital, all bloody with a face I couldn't even recognize. The horrifying picture of his death was painted so vividly in my mind.

The thought of staying there would really drive me insane.

The other reason is I don't have money to pay the hospital bills. I spent almost all the money we had saved up for Wonsik.

And I had nothing left now. I couldn't even pay the rent of this apartment.

When I arrived home, I saw my belongings right by the door. They were packed in a cardboard box, accompanied by a note stating that I could no longer stay. The landlady locked me out of the unit. She even changed the entry code.

I could only sigh as I sat down the concrete stairs.

"I have nowhere else to go now," I whispered to the silent expanse of stars above. They looked beautiful. The sky seemed to hold more stars than usual tonight.

The air was biting, and the hospital gown did little to shield me from the cold. I shivered, especially with no shoes on my feet.

With a heavy sigh, I rose to my feet and began to sort through my meager belongings. Among them, I found a worn pair of shoes, a dark sweater, and a pair of pants that extended too long for my legs.

It seemed like no one was around. It was dark and usually at this time of the night, most of the tenants were in the comfort of their units.

I swiftly changed into my clothes, discarding the hospital gown. I pulled on a warm jacket from the box to stave off the cold.

Gathering a few essential items into a backpack, I decided to part with some of the excess stuff. As I sorted through them, my fingers brushed against a handful of photographs ― memories of happier times with my husband. I immediately stowed them away in my backpack as I already felt a lump in my throat while staring at them.

As I secured the zipper on my backpack, my gaze fell upon the bracelet around my wrist. Slowly, I removed it, revealing the name engraved on its surface:

Name: Minatozaki Sana
Sex: Female
Bed: Ward B, Bed 19
Date: March 31, 2024

The nurse called me Sana. and so did Jungkook, that lip ring stranger, the first time we met.

Nurse Jihyo's voice echoed in my mind as I recalled her questions earlier.

"Your family? Do you know where they are?"

I had been on a car accident years ago. It somehow erased all my memories predating that incident, as Wonsik had told me.

I already accepted it a long time ago, but earlier, it all felt so frustrating when I was being asked with those questions by the nurse.

Wonsik assured me my memories would come back in time, yet up until now, I still couldn't recall even the faintest fragments of my history.

Why can't I still remember a single memory about anyone or anything from my past?

But a certain question strangely bothered me the most for some reason.

"... Jeon Jungkook, ever heard of his name before?"

"You'd never seen him anywhere else?"

Why would she ask me about him like I should know him? And why would he sign as my guardian if we're complete strangers?