chapter 2.

Sana's POV

I prepared two steaming ramyeon cups and took out 2 cans of beer from the fridge, setting them all on the table.

"Sorry, that will be my birthday treat for now. But I'm glad I got to celebrate with you," a smile spread across my lips as I lit the small candle in front of me and started singing "Happy Birthday."

"Happy birthday, Janna~" Tears were already streaming down my cheeks upon finishing the song.

"I'm happy. Thank you," I mumbled softly, staring at the space across from me. My eyes were all blurry as I let my mind form images of him sitting in front of me.

"It's so delicious," I commented while sobbing.

I imagined him smiling at me, complimenting how beautiful I look even if I hadn't put on any makeup yet.

I could see his eyes sparkling with joy as he watched me eat. The way he cared for me always made my heart flutter.

He held my hand, caressing my skin with his thumb as he stared at me lovingly.

He would ask me to dance even if there's no music playing. He would sing me a song even though he's out of tune.

His arms wrapped around me, securing me, keeping me warm. He kissed my temple, whispering "I love you" into my ear. I could hear his voice clearly.

I slowly opened my eyes, only to find myself hugging my own body as I stood in the middle of our small apartment.

I glanced at the table where clean empty cups of ramyeon laid on the surface and a lit candle in the middle. The beer cans were empty.

As I roamed my eyes around the room, all I could see were beer cans scattered everywhere.

This is my first birthday without him.

It had been 3 weeks since the accident. The image of him laying down the cold pavement still haunts me.

He was smiling at me from the other side as he crossed the road. I saw a bouquet of flowers in his hand. I was so excited. It was our anniversary.

Until a large truck suddenly blocked my sight. I felt like I was momentarily paralyzed as I stood there. I couldn't process what just happened. It was all so fast.

From afar, I could see his body under the vehicle. I ran to him, shouting his name.

I was trembling and sobbing as I approached him, but it was too late. I couldn't even recognize him. I couldn't even get a glimpse of his face.

He was already gone before they took him to the hospital.

People who I didn't know kept asking me about the funeral. I was all alone at the time.

It was just me and him before all of this. We didn't have any family. I didn't have any friends, nor did he.

I just gave what I only had left. 350,000 won for his cremation. I didn't know how it all happened. I just signed some papers and everything was all done.

All of him was gone.

I tried to find a job, but I was clueless about so many things. I was too naive. I felt numb by all the shouts and yells I received these past few days.

I almost got persuaded to enter the club, but my neighbor, Seokjin, pulled me away.

He said he was just walking by when he saw me being dragged inside a club by a man.

I had no idea what I was doing. I honestly didn't care anymore. I had nothing left. I had no one left.

Last night I got kicked out of a small restaurant I was working for because they said I was too slow. I didn't know any other job besides washing the dishes. But that too, I was terrible at, they said. They even called me a stupid bitch.

It was already 11 p.m. I hadn't eaten anything since this morning. I just slept all day because I felt so tired like my whole body was beaten up.

Who wouldn't be when you slept out on the streets?

I decided to take a stroll. Maybe it would take my mind off of things like the fact that I'm starving already. I opened my door and almost stumbled upon a paper bag just outside my apartment.

I glanced around but no one was there. I reached down to pick it up.

It was a bit heavy. I wonder if it was for me?

My stomach growled from the smell. It was food. I then went to peek at the contents and saw that it was a box of fried chicken, a few bottled waters, and a small cupcake. There were also some grocery food items beneath.

I didn't think these were for me so I came to knock at Seokjin's door.

"Janna? Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm just wondering if you saw someone leave these things at my door? I think they left it at the wrong apartment."

He looked at the bag I am holding. "What are those?"

"Just a bunch of food," I said as I rescanned the contents of the large paper bag.

"I didn't notice anyone dropping by. I was just here playing games all day, but..." He trailed off as he looked around, checking if there were any tenants looking for a misplaced food package. "I think you should just have a feast tonight." He said.

"I can't do that. What if someone went out looking for this?" I told him but he just chuckled.

"It's their fault for misplacing their food. Just eat it before it gets cold."

I just stood there, looking down at the paper bag in my arms. I glanced up at him. He was just staring at me, waiting for me to respond.

"Have you eaten your dinner yet?"

That was my first birthday with someone else.