chapter 22.

Sana's POV

Momo didn't even bother to slow down, let alone ask if I was okay with her dragging me to her place.

Before I could even voice a protest, the front door to her house swung open. And without a single glance back at me, she marched inside, switching the lights on.

It seemed like arguing at this point would be pointless, so I found myself trailing behind her since I didn't think I could get away that easily under her watch.

"I'll cook dinner now, just wait here," she declared as she yanked a sheet off the couch, sending a small cloud of dust puffing into the air. She then made her way straight to the kitchen. "I'm starving," she added, the fridge groaning as she wrestled it open to retrieve its contents.

I honestly didn't know what to do next. There was no way I could leave right now. I had no idea where we were and it's already dark outside.

I stole a glance towards the kitchen where she was fully engrossed in her cooking, the clatter of pots and pans echoing faintly.

Turning my gaze away, I scanned the room around me, searching for something to anchor my thoughts. The furniture was meticulously arranged, but a thin layer of dust coated most surfaces.

With a sigh, I sank into the couch stiffly, shifting uncomfortably as my eyes wandered the unfamiliar territory.

Soon enough, the enticing aroma of food began to waft through the air, weaving a path to my nostrils. It was a blend of spices and savory scent, making my stomach growl.

A little later, Momo's voice drifted from the kitchen. She was in a conversation on the phone.

"She's with me," Momo said. I turned my head to her direction, meeting her gaze. "Don't worry, she's alright... Okay, bye."

"It was your aunt," Momo informed me as she set the phone down. I could only manage a meek nod in response.

I suddenly felt guilty for running away. I should've at least said goodbye.

Moments later, she approached, carefully balancing two bowls of steaming food on a tray. The aroma of kimchi fried rice was so inviting as she set them down on the low table before me.

She then returned to the kitchen, reemerging with two bottles of soju and a pair of shot glasses.

As she settled onto the floor, I hesitated momentarily before stiffly following suit, mirroring her position across the table.

"I'm not as good as your ex-boyfriend in cooking, but that's still edible," she remarked casually. The sight and aroma of the meal before me filled me with hunger, making me ignore her comment completely.

"Let's dig in. Looks like we're both starving already," she declared, her words punctuated by a gentle laugh. Though a flush of self-consciousness tinged my cheeks, I nodded in agreement, my appetite overcoming any discomfort I was feeling just moments ago.

The sound of liquid pouring into the glasses shattered the silence between us, disrupting the unexpected comfort that had settled in the room.

"So," she began, her voice steady as she nudged the glass across the table towards me. "Care to explain why you were trying to run away again?" Her question hung in the air, accompanied by the clink of her glass meeting the table as she took a bold sip from her own drink.

She stared right at me, her wide eyes serious. "No lies this time."

There was a strength in her voice, demanding honesty, but for some reason, it surprisingly felt comforting.