Chapter 35 - Escort (5)

“But how did you find this connection? And where did you get the book?”

As I was about to speak, Phiri threw a sharp question. It was within my expectations.

I calmly delivered the prepared response,

“I once read this book in Godfather’s mansion library.”

“Really?”

Though it was an old book, it resembled a historical record, detailing the era of the founding emperor.

At present, it wasn’t hard to find, even though it might not be commonly read.

“During my return to the branch, I had a hunch, so I managed to obtain the book from the Merchant Guild branch.”

“Like last time, your memory is truly remarkable, huh?”

Phiri expressed genuine admiration.

“Not really.”

“Trying to be humble now, huh…”

Since it seemed like a topic might leak out, I redirected the conversation back to its original course.

“Earlier, the Chief and Vice leader mentioned that these people might be a newly formed group by the Empire.”

“Yeah. They weren’t the Empire people I know. Not just a large number, they weren’t the only sloppy ones either.”

Phiri took out a cigarette and lit it. I used Winds to make sure the smoke didn’t reach me.

“There’s only the Empire. As you said, maybe some crazy people from the Empire are orchestrating such incidents.”

Her tone didn’t seem to take my words seriously. I wanted to confirm her intentions.

“Do you really believe that the devil worshipers have returned?”

“Hmm.”

Phiri hesitated in his response.

“To be honest, I think the possibility is low. They might exist, but…”

“Are you suggesting that it’s more likely that the Empire deliberately disguised themselves as devil worshipers for terror attacks?”

Phiri nodded.

It wasn’t the definitive answer, but it was a reasonable opinion. Perhaps it was an inevitable reaction given the current situation.

“Your thoughts might be halfway right.”

“Really?”

“If they are indeed the devil worshipers you mentioned, isn’t it strange that they suddenly appeared without any warning signs?”

I nodded. In the game, they simply appeared out of nowhere, but I hadn’t thought about it much.

It was just a game, and I wondered if the devil whispered to someone.

“If they truly are devil worshipers, wouldn’t it be more accurate to see them as a group created by the Empire, but now they are no longer under their control?”

“Ah.”

At first, it seemed like a random thought, but upon further reflection, it might be plausible.

Since I hadn’t cleared the game, I couldn’t know its essence either.

If the Empire deliberately created devil worshipers who later broke free and started attacking the Empire with short swords, why couldn’t they control something they themselves created?