Chapter 28 - The Empire (2)

“I thought it would take a few more days, but you came earlier than expected?”

Phiri approached me with confidence, and in the meantime, my mind was racing.

Did we coincidentally arrive at the same time? No, it wasn’t a prearranged appointment.

She also hadn’t been waiting here all along.

Since entering Chenarus, I had been under Phiri’s watchful gaze.

‘Since when?’

Ever since I arrived in Chenarus, I had kept my senses open. Expanding Winds was only natural.

I had never been pursued.

Occasionally, I felt someone’s gaze, but it was the same no matter which street I walked.

To consider all those people as spies seemed ambiguous.

And there was also the question of how they knew I would enter the capital today.

I highly doubted that they had kept people waiting just for me.

‘Hmm…’

It was a moment when I felt my own inadequacy.

No matter how rigorous the training was, the field was a different story. There was much to learn even here.

Phiri, who had approached me by now, turned her back. It seemed like we were looking out at the city together.

Magic-powered street lamps were installed throughout the city, so it wasn’t pitch black. It felt like watching the city skyline from Earth.

“How is it? Nice view, isn’t it?”

“Is this the hideout?”

“Huh? No.”

No wonder there was nothing here.

I found it amusing that I had worried that it was hidden somewhere I hadn’t imagined.

“Then, could it be that the clue you gave me was wrong?”

“What do you mean?”

“The graduation assignment was to find the hideout of the spies.”

Phiri raised an eyebrow.

I felt like I was the one being strange for asking.

“What’s wrong with that?”

“Because you said this isn’t the hideout.”

“Ah.”

Phiri finally seemed to understand what I meant and smirked.

“Did you expect to go straight to the hideout and secretly say the passphrase?”

It felt like a stab in the heart.

Even in movies on Earth, things usually proceeded like that.

“Well… it’s not necessarily like that, but I thought I had to find the hideout.”

I wasn’t asking just for the sake of it. One of the important things for a spy was the accuracy of their mission.

The given mission needs to be intuitive and precise to make it easier to perform and increase the success rate.

From that perspective, this assignment seemed slightly off.

“I know what you mean. I’ve been there before too. But this is the basic approach.”

“Is that so?”

“If someone starts using passphrase-like words in a perfectly functioning establishment, it’ll look more suspicious, right? It’s better to meet people and guide them like this.”