Chapter 31 - Escort (1)

We were in a hurry. We fed the horses stimulants to enhance their endurance and moved.

When the horses became exhausted, we abandoned them and ran on foot.

The fatigue was significant as we moved through harsh terrain, trying to avoid the gaze of others without rest.

The cold in the northern region was unbearable.

However, thanks to our mad dash, we reached the edge of the mountain range when midnight passed.

Of course, we still had to move further to reach our destination, but Phiri suggested taking a rest.

It meant taking maximum care of our physical well-being before the start of the actual mission.

We rested by a magic power stove in a cave at the beginning of the mountain range, where there was no fire.

“Do you want to eat something, even just a little?”

“I’m fine for now. I’ll eat later.”

Phiri looked at me with a slightly concerned expression. It was about the meal. If it were someone else, they would have insisted on eating.

It was because I had mysophobia.

“I’ll eat when it’s really necessary.”

I knew that meals were important. We had expended energy during our run, and we needed to replenish the insufficient calories.

But it was a judgment considering all those factors.

I had to stay here for up to four days. Considering the mental stress I was experiencing, it was better not to eat.

Thanks to the reinforced Ironman, a little hunger or sleep wouldn’t have a significant impact.

After all, my condition was always close to the worst. Whether it was -10 or -12, it was similar, wasn’t it?

Phiri looked at me for a moment and nodded. It might have been an intention for me to experience it firsthand.

“Okay. Are you feeling okay physically?”

“Yes.”

Phiri seemed more relaxed than I expected.

She displayed the demeanor of a model spy who never lost their composure.

Of course, her inner thoughts might be different.

Just by looking at how concerned she was about the agents during the day, she seemed like a person who had a lot on her mind.

“Suddenly, I noticed that your demeanor is quite different from when you talked to me earlier.”

“What did I say? I told you I’m treating you well.”

Well, in a way, she was the vice-leader, so even considering we had the same godfather, she treated me too casually.

Perhaps it was because of the image of our first meeting.

She had an easygoing personality with other people, but she seemed quite strict after coming to the Empire.

I thought maybe I should be a little more reserved. It was a habit that could be scary at times.

“I’ll be more careful from now on, Vice-Leader.”

“Huh? Hey.”

When I changed my tone, Phiri extended her hand.

“It’s okay, man. In a way, you’re like my brother. It’s just something I do to maintain the vice leader’s facade. We can be comfortable when it’s just us. You can even call me ‘Sister(Noona).'”