Chapter 19 - First Mission (2)

“It’s today.”

Marhan’s words brought back the silence once again.

Maybe because I had already calmed down, I wasn’t as startled as before. Though I was still puzzled.

“In the morning, warm up and pack your belongings lightly. We’ll leave right after lunch.”

As we prepared for our official mission, we all listened attentively. Not a single detail could be missed.

“Our target is Jose Demit’s gang. They are scum accused of fifteen murders and multiple cases of rape. They’re currently hiding in the Cayden Mountains.”

To think our first mission would involve such heinous criminals. It seemed like a deliberate choice.

Perhaps it was meant to make us accustomed to killing.

As spies, we had to act according to orders from above. We couldn’t have any aversion to any task.

Killing the bad guys and killing the less bad guys, something along those lines.

“Are there still rookies who feel reluctant about the mission?”

Just hearing the term “rookies” made it clear. It was a word Marhan rarely used.

It seemed like an intention to make us aware that the target was a bad guy and to stimulate our fighting spirit.

“No, sir!”

Denif shouted vigorously, and the effect was evident just from his spirited response.

My cheeks tingled slightly as if I was getting excited. Marhan’s tactics were working well.

“Don’t let your guard down. They may be scum who gnaw at our country, but their skills are not something you can underestimate.”

Marhan advised Denif. It was only natural for a joint mission.

Considering our skills, Denif and I, with a little exaggeration, could take on most adults with our eyes closed.

“Today is entirely your day. You have to prepare yourselves and complete the mission on your own.”

“Yes, sir!”

“After finishing lunch, gather at the training ground.”

Saying that, Marhan swiftly turned around.

When Marhan’s back was no longer visible, Denif let out a big breath and shouted.

“Finally! Our first mission!”

There was a hint of enthusiasm on his face that had been slightly roused by excitement. He seemed completely unaware of the tension.

Was this the infamous imperial terrorist Denif?

Orhen seemed a bit tense. Her face was stiffer than usual. Well, she was always an introverted kid.