Chapter 5 - I Want to Live (4)

I opened my eyes at the words of the duke. The Chief of Intelligence was an incredibly important figure responsible for the overall strategy of a nation.

On the other hand, there were parts that now made sense.

‘That’s right.’

Starting as an orphan on the market floor had its reasons. It seemed that there was no need to run away anymore.

Being under the duke, my Stratagem experience would increase, even if I didn’t like it.

‘Things seem to be working out better than expected, don’t they?’

If I could persuade the duke later, it would be easier to help or approach the princess.

Haisen was the empress’ country, and the Chief of Intelligence held even greater power.

“How old are you?”

“I’m an orphan so I’m not sure exactly, but I think I’m thirteen.”

“Thirteen, huh? Not bad. You will serve as a spy under me. Will that be alright?”

It was a rather straightforward statement. Was he trying to gauge my reaction, or was it just the duke’s nature?

The duke’s gaze was sharp. Still, he was the Chief of Intelligence of a kingdom, so it was probably the former.

Although he asked if I would be alright, the outcome was already predetermined. He wouldn’t release me, someone with Mystics.

He wouldn’t kill me, but he might brainwash me through torture or something.

I intentionally hesitated for a moment.

If a child’s judgment was too quick, it might seem strange. Then I nodded my head.

“Yes. It’s much better to be under the Duke than to live as an orphan in the market. Thank you.”

As I spoke, I realized it. It was a sincere statement, but it might have sounded a bit obsequious.

However, the duke smiled with a satisfied expression.

“You’re not like a child.”

“Because of my background…”

The Duke let out a hollow laugh.

“I’m not offering it for free. If you work hard, I’ll reward you accordingly. You won’t have to worry about food and shelter right away.”

“Thank you.”

The Duke nodded and waved his hand.

“That’s enough, rest for today. Follow Lena.”

The Duke called Lena, and after bidding farewell, I left the reception room.

A translucent message appeared in my field of view.

[Obtained a small amount of Stratagem experience points.]

My attention was drawn to the sudden system message. I didn’t expect to gain experience points so soon.

It seemed that joining under the chief of intelligence was considered an act related to the stratagem.

‘Hah, I guess I’ve become a trainee spy.’

I felt a little happy at the unexpected stroke of luck.

Was it because I was under the Chief of Intelligence? It was a moment when the future seemed a little brighter.