Chapter 33 - Escort (3)

The swirling snowflakes were gradually subsiding. In the early morning, the lightly falling snow made the desolate mountains look lonely.

Of course, objects couldn’t have emotions, so it must have been because of my own feelings.

Strictly speaking, this mission was close to failure.

The four agents would have scattered in all directions. Phiri wouldn’t be able to save everyone in these mountains.

In fact, I couldn’t even guarantee Phiri’s survival. There were many worrying aspects.

After all, the leader in the game was a devil worshipper.

‘I’m not certain right now, but…’

I couldn’t exclude the possibility that this mission was a plot to eliminate Phiri.

Negative thoughts overwhelmed me, and my emotions became complicated. Was it all futile and in vain?

I knew from the start that this mission wasn’t highly likely to succeed. I anticipated the risks.

Yet, my heart was complicated, probably because this was the first failure I might face.

For the past three years, there had been dangers, but no failures. The missions had always been successful, thanks to the duke’s careful considerations.

Perhaps I had come to believe that I could always succeed, despite the hardships.

‘No, it’s not all bad. This could be a valuable experience.’

I thought that for a moment.

I sensed devil worshippers guarding their positions far away. I quickly hid myself.

There were three of them.

Considering their movements and current positions, they seemed to be on the outer edge of the encirclement.

There were fewer people here compared to when I entered this area.

It was probably because of Phiri and the other agents.

Thinking about it, I felt a bit annoyed.

It wasn’t an unreasonable feeling. I had been through a lot because of those guys for the past few days. And it would probably continue.

‘Should I take care of them?’

When moving with Phiri, I had passed by without leaving unnecessary traces.

But not this time.

Of course, it wasn’t without risk.

However, considering the situation, it was a task I could reasonably attempt. There were also some logical reasons for doing so.

This area was the outer edge of the encirclement. The main group would be chasing Phiri and the agents from the inside.

The probability of strong opponents being here was low.

‘Besides, drawing their attention here could also be helpful for Phiri and the agents.’

Phiri said she would leave the decision to my judgment. What would she do in this situation? She probably would have taken action.

With half my heart resolved, I closed the distance a bit. I could decide after observing them closely.

Yes, that’s it.

The guys I approached didn’t look particularly powerful. Of course, I couldn’t be certain just by appearances, but…

Even their minor postures and attitudes irritated me. I could handle them just fine.