Chapter 20 - First Mission (3)

“No, later. We talked about it earlier.”

I immediately raised my head. We had decided to launch the attack at dawn before climbing the mountain.

The most vulnerable moment for both humans and animals was when they were sleeping.

That was why aiming for dawn was the best option.

Since they were also drinking, maybe we could move a little faster.

‘Because they’ll fall asleep earlier anyway.’

It was something we all learned and it was the standard, so no additional explanation was necessary.

“Fool.”

Orhen agreed by giving Denif a teasing remark.

Denif nodded as if he acknowledge it. Although he looked a bit disappointed.

Considering how much he enjoyed fighting, I wondered if it was just his restless nature.

I sighed inwardly.

‘How did he become an Imperial terrorist?’

He must have grown up and matured, but as someone who knew him from the game, it felt strange.

If it were the current Denif I saw, he would have charged into the palace without thinking.

How on earth did Marhan raise Denif?

I felt a deep sense of respect.

Setting that aside, judging from the situation, we would have to wait here for quite some time.

We needed rest after climbing the mountain as well.

“Let’s take a break. We can’t plan until we see the situation later. If you’re hungry, eat something.”

Both Denif and Orhen nodded at the same time.

Hmm, it was not a big deal, but I felt a sense of responsibility.

Unless my condition was good, the kids were much better than me.

But even so, there seemed to be a difference in mental age, and I found myself playing the role of a leader without even deciding on it.

Suddenly, I wondered what would have happened if I hadn’t been here.

Denif and Orhen would have come together. Would they have gone straight ahead as Denif suggested, or would Orhen have taken on my role?

Somehow, it seemed like the latter.

Denif would say something thoughtless and playful, but in the end, he would lose to Orhen.

As I quietly observed the situation, foolish thoughts kept creeping in, but I didn’t intentionally block them.

Appropriate tension was necessary, but excessive tension was not good.

‘Of course, I shouldn’t let my guard down too much.’

I consciously calmed my mind.

What mattered most to me now was my mindset. I must never hesitate before the mission.

A moment of hesitation could cost me my life, especially since it was my first real battle.

I also needed to be cautious of getting too excited in combat, as Marhan advised.

‘The same goes for the kids.’

I couldn’t help but think they would do well. I wasn’t worried about Denif. I’d seen him alive in the future.