68: A Nights Walk.

"Phillip."

As Y/N uttered those words, no response came. Silence filled the air, and as he stood, he could barely hear a thing within Phillips room. Y/N wasn't sure how true what Mary said was, but he didn't want Phillip to be left alone sulking just because some of the words she spoke may have pierced a few of his insecurities.

Lifting his fist to knock again, he—

"..what do you want?"

...nevermind. It seemed he was willing to speak after all.

"I.. came to speak to you."

Silence filled the air again.

"..dude, if you came here to talk about what happened, just go away. I'm not gonna talk about it with you."

"Why not?"

"Because—because I don't want to, okay?! Just leave!"

Y/N flinched at the slight rise of volume in his voice, but even so, he couldn't help but just stand there. He.. really wasn't sure what to do about this. He already knew Phillip was unpredictable, but.. it wasn't as if he knew there were things that could actually make him feel hurt. Of.. course, such a thing was stupid. Phillip was a human being with thoughts and wants just like everyone else. Of course there were going to be things that hurt him.

But—still, it seemed to catch Y/N off guard.

He stood, barely lifting his hand for a moment—his lips curling downward into a neutral frown. Silence still remained in the air.

"I.. I do not believe I know how true her statement about you was, but.. I see no reason for you to isolate yourself." Y/N sighed, lifting his head upward as he stared at the door and spoke through it. He wasn't even sure if it was locked, but he didn't really want to intrude either if it wasn't.

"You.. I—.. Isolating yourself like this.. it doesn't do any good when it comes to dealing with feelings of hurt. Leaving yourself alone and not talking about it to anyone isn't exactly a healthy response to a situation like this. You—You don't have to speak to me, as I.. know you'd probably prefer not to do something like that. But.. I encourage you to speak to someone. Please.. I know better than anyone else that something like this isn't the solution."

"...why are you tellin' me this?"

"I.. I suppose I just—" Y/N paused. "I suppose I just think that even someone like yourself shouldn't be left alone to writhe in their own emotional pain. I'll—leave you alone now if I must. But.. if I may, I have something else to say to you."

"..what's that?"

"..you don't need to make anyone proud of you to be worth something."

Y/N gulped. He wasn't certain if saying something like that was the right thing to say, but.. it was worth a shot.

"Your family—I'm.. sure your family is already proud of you. In fact, I'm sure they see you as worth enough. Even—Even if I dislike you, and see you as an enemy, and.. nothing more.. you're still a person with plenty worth. Admittedly, I do think that.. well.." He hesitated, before letting a sigh escape his mouth. "I do think that despite how irritating you can be, you are worth something. You don't need to prove that to anyone. Not even me."

Y/N stood—Phillip didn't respond, only remaining quiet within the interiors of his room. Did Phillip not appreciate being told that or something? It was a little hard to tell when Phillip was behind his door like this.

"I'll—I'll leave you by yourself now. But.. don't stay in there forever. Isolating yourself won't do anything for you in the long run."

He then spun on his heel slowly, feeling heavy exhaustion in his legs still. And pressing his palm against a nearby wall, he began to walk back toward the staircase—he let his hands gently brush the rails once he got close enough, and began to climb down the steps gradually.