66: A Cruel Confrontation.

Start from the beginning

"I—you.. wait, you found out about my..?" Phillip questioned, his voice becoming a bit breathier with confusion.

"Yes. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said that. You lack as much as intelligence just as much as you lack self discipline.. Phillip." Mary said, arching a brow and folding her arms over the other as her tone became dangerously ice-cold and lowered with a sense of calm.

Phillip flinched back a little, though the surprise on his face quickly faded. After all, he was well known in the city for being the son of a famous politician and war hero. His face calmed, and he rolled his eyes. "Big deal. You know my name and my family status. Still doesn't compare to the shit you pulled!" He snarked back.

"Hamilton.." Y/N uttered cautiously.

"Hold your tongue, you disgusting thing!" Mary sharply said as soon as Y/N spoke. Her tone then became icy with bitterness yet again. "You should know better than to talk over me. I don't believe your father would want to know of you getting involved with mischevious pranks on a lady such as myself. Especially considering the situation both of you are in already.."

Y/Ns eyes mildly widened. His frown tightened. "..I don't believe I do. But I'm sure.. I'm sure your father wouldn't want to know of what you've done thus far either. He thinks of you as an angel sent down from Heaven itself. And if he found out your true nature—"

"Don't dare bring my father into this!" Mary sharply growled yet again. Startled at her yelling, Y/N flinched. She then coldly snarled, "..I know more about you than you do yourself, Burr. It's easy to walk around here and learn about you two fiends just by listening to conversations from citizens passing by. And with how much I've heard about you two, I think I've already got the upper hand. So.. I would think a little bit of respect toward me would be well earned on my part."

Y/N remained silent, feeling a heavy feeling beginning to beat deep within his heart. Beads of sweat formed on the sides of his face. He could feel Phillip glance at him from behind, before Phillip then spoke again.

"Respect ain't gonna come if you just go around treatin' everyone like they ain't worth shit to you. If anything, I'd say I'm in need of respect. You're just rich. I'm the son of a damn war hero. Hell, he's the son of a war hero! And you think respect is well earned on your part?! Honestly, maybe if you got around for once without treatin' people like they were below you, you'd actually be worth something!"

...silence. The moment he uttered such a thing, the area went completely quiet. Y/N could hear Phillips breaths from behind himself. But what he began to see before him held his attention more than what he heard did.

Mary was glaring.. harder this time. Her eyes were sharpened—like a predatory animal. Her lips curled down into a neutral frown, before they began to curl up into a predatory smile.

"Oh.. ohoho.. you know, I really don't think you should be talking. You know.. especially considering what I heard about you." Mary's tone held a grimace to it, but was strangely filled with a sense of aggression.

"Wh—What?" He stammered. "What do you mean? If this is your—"

"Hold it." Mary growled—her voice sounding even lower this time. "..you have no right to speak to me that way. I know.. oh, I definitely know. After all, when it comes to lack of worth.. I'd say your more along those lines than I would be."

"Excuse me—"

"I heard about it. How you used to try so hard just to impress your father.. how you used to do anything to catch his attention. You worked yourself to death, practically. You tried taking up plenty of small jobs from the neighbors or from small stores as a child simply because you wanted him to be proud. And you would always do anything just to make him speak to you. And you really want to talk about how much I'm worth, hm?"

"..Phillip.." Y/N muttered, glancing behind himself yet again with an arched brow. A heavy feeling pounded in his chest. And as he looked back.. this time, Phillips face didn't hold the same hardness it had anymore. In fact.. his eyes were widened, beads of sweat were formed on his cheek and on his forehead. His pupils were small, and almost looked as if they were shaking. His fists began to clench.

"..how.. how'd you know I.." Phillip said, his tone becoming breathy.

"Not important. All I know is that I'd say you don't have a right to speak when it comes to the matter of who's worth more." She smiled—practically as if she were the devil himself. "You were so desperate back then. And even seem a little desperate now. Do you really want people's attention that badly? So badly you'd even try to gain it from your own enemy? With how much you've been dragging him around today, I'd say you almost want his attention more than anyone else. Is it to make up for the lack of attention you get already? I say.. if that were the case.. it'd be a real shame."

Y/N's chest became heavier, and began to beat more. Not because he was afraid, but.. because of something else. What was this feeling? And.. why did he begin to feel whatever it was toward Phillip? Something about the way Phillips expression became more and more filled with distress made his heart feel as if it were going to drop.

Phillip remained silent. His fists began to shake. And his eyes darted toward the ground. A scrim of moisture began to form slowly deep within them. And Mary raised a brow, still smiling smugly in that way she often did.

"..so.. Phillip.. do you really want to talk about the subject of who's worth more? Judging by everything I've listed.. I'd say I already know who the winner in that case would be."

"...Phillip?" Y/N muttered. Phillips eyes darted toward Y/N's face for a moment, still shaking. Y/N found his stare lingering back at Phillips stare for a few moments more.. until Phillip turned around sharply. The bucket fled from his arm and onto the concrete sidewalk. And—at a pace faster than Y/N could process, Phillip began to run. He was running.. away. Away from the situation.

"Ha—Hamilton!" Y/N yelled. But Phillip didn't listen. He fled, and fled, until he vanished behind a wall of a building. Shock froze the air into complete silence, and Y/N slowly turned his head back toward Mary.

Mary didn't say a word. Only giving her sinister smile. Y/N felt his stare harden. He felt the urge to.. to say something at least. To do something now that—whatever all that was just happened. But.. he couldn't find it in himself. He wasn't even sure what he was supposed to do. He was a mature man. Physical combat wouldn't suit him. Even if he wanted that, he couldn't act based on his emotion.

Mary's ice-cold blue stare glared back at him. After a few more seconds of thought, Y/N could feel himself glaring at her—his eyes still remaining wide. Though instead of giving into the urge to fight, he turned in the direction Phillip had gone—and ignoring the repetitive memory of Mary's smug, irritating grin.. he..

...he began to run after Phillip.

///////////
Wooh! Sorry I haven't uploaded in a while. It's so easy for me to get distracted by other shit I'm into. /g