35. Aftermath (Part 2)

The date of Siegfried's punishment had been set. That man would be executed one week from now. People were crazy about the news. They spoke about it every day as they had nothing to talk about. People barely gossiped about Helena anymore.

Helena was no longer bound in her home. It was clear that her house was not a formidable fortress after the assassination attempt. She was free to go in and out as long she brought some guards. After her house arrest was over, Helena received multiple letters. They came from the Browns, Lord Navy and Lady Wisteria. They would visit her home on the same day. The Brown siblings came earlier in the afternoon. Helena greeted the officer with a warm smile and attitude.

"Welcome, Matthew Brown!"

"Thank you for the reception, Lady Blackmoore."

The warmth in her face turned cold. Helena glared at the man next to him. "Oxford Brown."

The younger brother clicked his tongue. "Tch. Lady Blackmoore."

Matthew broke their childish fighting. "Cut it out, you two. Oxford, please behave. We are already talking about this."

The younger brother sighed and listened to his older brother. "Fine."

Azure and Scarlet had prepared refreshments in the guest room. Oxford kept staring at the twins when they poured the tea. His eyes glinted with sparks of interest.

"Do you think I can borrow them as models?"

"You're making children's clothes now?"

"There are many demands for it. I have a problem finding the model. You know very well how annoying it can be. Their parent will force their kid to be a model, but the kid later will cry or throw tantrums. Those twins seem different. They are composed and graceful."

Helena was proud someone praised her personal maids. "I will tell their sister about your offer."

After the conversation flowed into a better topic, Matthew asked about her state. "How do you fare, Lady Blackmoore?"

"Thank you for the concern. I am doing well now. Your testimony helped me escape from death. How about your injury?"

"I almost healed! I can go back to my duty next week."

Matthew told her about his job. He refused to move to the countryside. That man would stick to his post as an officer in the capital until the end. Prince Sapphire was touched to find a passionate man like him. He gave Matthew a new position. Now, that man was the leader of a group in the investigation team.

In the past, Matthew resigned after learning about the conspiracy inside the palace. His ideal of justice was shattered when nobody listened to his words or plea. He now swore to purge the hiding rats. Helena was smiling at his story. She was delighted one more grim past had changed. While they talked, Violet told Helena her other guests had arrived. She greeted Lady Wisteria, Lady Lilac and Lord Navy. All of them sat in the same room.

Lady Wisteria bowed her head to Helena the moment she saw her. "Thank you so much, Helena Blackmoore."

Helena was startled by her polite demeanour. She was flustered since Lady Wisteria's status was higher than hers. "Please raise your head! It's just a coincidence that my trial made the list being investigated."

Lord Navy shook his head. "That alone was enough. Without your bravery, I probably still rot in the prison."

The rest nodded in agreement. Helena was embarrassed by their overflowing gratitude.