16. Marquis Wisteria's Party

Men preferred Ethel over Helena. It was clear that everyone liked her better than the adopted daughter. Helena was also prepared to remain single for her life. For an unknown reason, she had difficulty finding chemistry with men. Helena would turn into a nun rather than go through loveless miserable marriage. Perhaps, it was part of growing up watching her mother or because she already knew romance was not pretty. Adham was the only man who sent sparks into her heart.

She was surprised to see a gift wrapped inside a green box. Helena received a dress and a set of jewellery. It came with a letter inside the box.

"This is my gratitude toward my saviour. May your kind heart always be blessed."

"I have to say, My Lady. Whoever sent you these gifts knows which style suits you." Violet said with a smile.

Helena pulled out the dress. It was a deep purple ball gown. The dress was decorated with lilacs made from the golden thread. The jewellery was pure gold and shaped like roses and leaves. This style was tailored for someone like Helena. She did not know who the sender was, but Helena accepted it. From the letter, it was someone's way to deliver their thank you.

"Lady Helena. You have one more letter." Scarlett gave her a red envelope.

"This one was brought by a knight. He told us to give it directly to Lady Helena." Azure added.

The letter had a fancy envelope without a mark. Helena opened it and was surprised when she read it. She excused herself and ran to her room. Helena's heart was beating fast. She read the letter one more time in front of her desk. While the first letter came from an unknown source, the second letter came from Nora Vermillion.

"To Lady Helena Blackmoore,

I will write it down to the point. Prove that you are not part of the cult. You have received an invitation to Marquis Wisteria. Someone named Richard Grey will attend the party to do drug dealing. Follow him and find the password used during the exchange. I will give you a reward if you succeed."

The letter was short, sharp and easy to digest. Inside the envelope was a photo of the target. The letter said no punishment would befall if Helena failed. Nevertheless, she would gain benefits if she learnt the password. She received the trust of the most powerful lady and one unknown present.

Helena wanted to cry now. She was just a pitiful girl who regressed her life twice. How did her life go this way? She went back in time for the third time, found out a demon played with her soul, almost got involved with a cult and now must go investigate some random guy to prove herself.

Helena slumped her head against the desk. "Thank God I'd gone insane and evil in my second life already..."

The awaited day had finally arrived. Helena and her whole family visited the Marquis's party. Their parent had a matching look. His father wore a blue noble suit with a golden cape while her mother wore a mermaid blue dress with golden thread. Ethel wore a pink dress with lace, ribbon and pearl, while Helena wore her new purple outfit.

The party was packed. Helena could see many well-known people gathered inside the place. She watched influential noble ladies, noblemen from different ranks, and wealthy merchants talk to each other. Everyone went on their own way. Her mother gathered with other older ladies, and her father met his friends. Helena usually stayed in the food corner or looked out for a dancing partner, but now she was on a mission. Her eyes scanned around the room to find Richard Grey.

"Sister."

Ethel had brought up a few ladies behind her. Lady Heather was standing among them. She remained silent behind Ethel. Guess she managed to receive an invitation as well. Ethel definitely planned to embarrass her again. After all, she did this in her previous lives. On the first life, Helena shrunk at the insult while she replied with a crude remark on the second life. However, this was getting annoying. She did not have time to play along with her childish.