22. The King and the Queen

Helena sat down in a beautiful rose garden. The weather was warm enough to enjoy tea at the outdoors. The fragrance of the tea mixed with the flower gave a pleasant smell. On the table were fancy snacks and pastries made by the best chef in the kingdom. Despite the perfect setting, Helena's whole body was tense.

The Eluvuris King and Queen were sitting in front of her.

This might be a new form of torture. Helena was tired from smiling. She was anxious to make a mistake in front of the noblest noble. As a lower-ranking noble, she was obligated to attend. Helena could not refuse the invitation from the King and Queen. The whole family was in chaos when Helena received the letter from the royalty. She must prepare from morning to look presentable. The news of her going to the palace was spreading like wildfire.

In her second life, Helena was capable of carrying out a good performance. She had no qualms about lying and boasting to look good. However, it only worked with someone who barely knew her. The King and the Queen was the ruler of this country. If someone exposed her lie, it would spell a problem for her.

Helena could not control herself when she had a private meeting with them. Her whole body was shaking from fear. Queen Patricia chuckled at Helena's pale expression when she noticed it.

"My, are you nervous? Have some warm tea, Lady Blackmoore. You will be much better."

Patricia Aurelius was the legal wife of King Opal. Prince Ruby inherited her red hair but his blue eyes from his father. Queen Patricia had forest-green eyes, ivory skin and full red lips. Her hair was tied in an elegant bun with a crown on her head. Her bright red dress complimented her hair.

She was later house imprisoned for poisoning a concubine. Queen Patricia avoided execution because of the support of nobles and officials. Nevertheless, she lost her title. She stayed in captive of her house in both of Helena's life.

"What-what pleasure do I owe to meet Your Majesty?"

The King was laughing at her stuttering. "I know it is terrifying to meet us, but we mean no harm. My sons danced with the same lady, so I became curious about you."

King Opal had blonde hair, a beard and blue eyes. Despite his weak appearance, he reminded Helena of an ancient relic, old but priceless. The age could not contain the passing down wisdom within his eyes. He somehow had a similar personality to Prince Sapphire regarding curiosity.

"Tell me about yourself, Lady Blackmoore."

"I used to be a commoner until my mother remarried. I hope it's not a problem."

"Of course not, dear! Most of our servants are commoners! No noble bother to learn cooking, cleaning up, cutting bushes or arranging documents. The commoners are more reliable since they have skill." The King whispered to Helena. "I'll never change my cook again."

Queen Patricia laughed. "Opal ate a lot of bland food before we hired the new chef. He was a cook for a small inn but knowledgeable about food from different countries."

"I could not believe soup tasted that good." He lamented his past decision. "I should have hired commoners earlier."

Queen Patricia sipped her tea. "Even if you are adopted, you are a noble now. The law stated that a child adopted by a noble should be treated as one too."

Helena nodded and smiled. The King and the Queen were not as scary as she expected. They were open-minded couples, unlike few nobles or commoners she met. Some sneered at her for her low background. Some reviled her after turning into a noble. Helena found a new respect toward both of them. They saw her as Helena instead of just a Blackmoore.