23. The Concubine

Helena was listless.

She just had tea with the King and Queen several days ago. Now she must return to the palace again. Helena wanted to curl up in bed instead of drinking tea. She had to go through a busy morning again to look presentable.

Elena Bronze used to be a commoner. She worked as a royal maid in the palace because of a recommendation. Elena moved to the main castle after much hard work. Never in her whole life had she thought that she would be a concubine. King Opal was mesmerized by her look at first sight.

Queen Patricia was not kidding about her appearance. Concubine Elena was a split image of Queen Margaret. Her golden long hair was swaying, her skin was soft as satin, her lip was curved, and her body was lean. The only difference was the colour of her eyes. Queen Margaret had hazel eyes, while Concubine Elena had amber.

"Greetings, Lady Blackmoore. I've been waiting for you."

She had a warm smile like her son. Helena's regret of coming to the palace had disappeared when she saw it. Unlike meeting the King and the Queen, she did not feel pressure in her presence. Helena curtsied and returned her greet. "Greetings, Lady Bronze. Thank you for inviting me.

"My, what a polite lady. Come sit! I prepare a lot of sweets for you."

Helena sat across Concubine Elena. In front of her were chocolate muffins, strawberry slice cakes, almond croissants and other sweets. It made you droll just by looking. Her appetite had returned after she vowed to flip the demon. Besides, Helena must eat well to balance her hard training. Violet and the twin made sure she always finished her meal.

"Lady Bronze, did you invite me out of curiosity too?"

Concubine Eena giggled at her question. "You are correct. I heard from Opal someone danced with the Princes. Pardon me if I disrupt your schedule."

"Don't worry. I have finished my study. Other than attending balls, saloon and charity, I have nothing to do."

"Ah, you are the Saint of Angles Street, right? Citrine told me about it. How lucky I am to meet you. Tell me, is the street still the same?"

"Well, the people on the street and the church make few changes."

This was the first time someone was interested in Angles Street. Helena told her about her involvement and changes in that place. Some place was still dangerous, but there was an improvement. The church and orphanage were bigger after some construction and reparation. Life on Angles Street was better than before. Concubine Elena listened with great interest.

"Thank you, Lady Blackmoore. I lived on that street for a few years and met many kind people. I wish to return to that street sometimes."

Helena tilted her head in confusion. "Please pardon my insolency, My Lady. You are capable of doing it now. Why don't you visit Angles Street for once?"

Concubine Elena had a bitter smile on her face. "Lady Blackmoore, you surely understand me. I once lived in poverty and lost my family to starvation and illness. Life was easier when I was the sole survivor. I worked hard for myself but was lucky. The King had his eyes for me. I took the opportunity without hesitation, abandoning friends and people that support me." She had a pause for a moment and exhaled a long breath. "I feel ashamed and guilty to meet them."

Helena recognized that feeling. When she was noble, she felt guilty about her friends in the street. She enjoyed the luxurious meal and fancy outfit while her friends struggled to survive. Some people sent back her letter, and some had no reply. One day, Helena could not take it anymore. She wanted to see her friends. Helena sneaked out to the slum.