12. Missing Kid (Part 1)

"What?" Helena grabbed the nun's arms and shook her. "Tell me more about it!"

"I'm sorry, Lady Blackmoore, but I did not know the detail either!"

Helena released her grip and thought to herself for a moment. More people were missing from the street lately. She recalled this experience in her first life. Adham told her about a missing kid from the orphanage before.

"I cannot find him, Helena..."

She remembered how he spoke with a hoarse voice and fatigue in his eyes. They never found the missing child until the end. Adham was forced to give up as time passed from days to weeks to months. Watching him grieving in silence crushed her as well.

Helena wondered what Adham was doing right now. She was lucky enough to see him passing the church. Like in her first life, Adham looked exhausted. He must be working hard to find this kid night and afternoon. Helena ran toward him and called his name. "Whitesmithe!"

He was surprised to see her. "Blackmoore, what are you doing in here?"

"It is time for my weekly inspection. I heard a kid was gone from a nun. Is it true?"

"Yes. I have been looking for the kid since yesterday."

Adham was on the verge of collapsing. He was weary and worn out from searching the whole day. Helena managed to catch him before his body slumped down to the ground.

"... Thank you."

"Are you all right?"

Adham touched his head. "Not really. I have not slept or eaten anything since yesterday."

Helena frowned when she heard it. "Take a rest first. I bring some sandwiches with me."

He stared at her thin wrist. "I think you need it more than me."

"Geez, I have a small appetite, okay? Besides, I ate breakfast this morning."

Helena could not eat as much as she used to after regressing. The memories and experiences of her past made her nauseous every time she bit her food. Even her parent and Violet lectured her about eating too little. They forced her to carry food when she went out.

Adham received her offer and ate the sandwich. He recovered a bit after eating and resting. That man finally spoke about the incident with a grim expression. "A kid named Jeremy went missing yesterday. The children played on the street, and he... just disappeared."

Adham burrowed his head between his legs. He felt powerless and helpless in the situation. He must be tired and worried for Jeremy. Adham grew up in the orphanage and cared for all of the orphanage children. They were like a part of the family for him. Helena caressed his back to soothe his sadness. She could not do more since their status was nothing more than stranger.

"Adham!"

Lilian called his name and sprinted in their direction. She caught her breath for a second and asked him a question. "Did you find him?"

Adham shook his head. "I am sorry, Lilian."

"It is my fault that he was missing." Lilian was crying. Tears fell to her red cheek. "Jeremy is my friend. He did not want to play yesterday, but I forced him to go out with me."

Helena panicked at that sight. She did not have experience handling crying children. Adham was the one who appeased the little girl. He knelt and caressed her head with a gentle smile.