7. Royal Library (Part 1)

"Lady Helena, I'm coming in."

Helena opened her eyes when Violet knocked on the door. She was lying in bed with an awful sleeping pose. Helena was not sure whether she was asleep or fainted. Her mind was groggy from the memories of last night. She could not believe her regression would involve her butler... who actually was a demon.

Violet, Scarlett and Azure entered her room. Helena's face took them aback. Her skin was pale from shock, and black eye bags appeared under her eyes from lack of sleep.

"My God! Are you okay, Lady Helena?"

Helena sat down on the bed and touched her ached head. "Violet, where is Karl?"

The maids were confused. "Pardon me, but I never heard anyone with that name. Perhaps you are not truly awake, My Lady."

"Urgh, never mind..."

Helena dressed up as fast as she could. She went around the house to ask the servants about Karl. Karl always aided the chef with ingredient preparation, saved the maids when they made mistakes with their work and helped the gardener trim the hedge. Yet, everyone's memories of him were gone. It was as if he did not exist in the first place.

The chef was frowning at her question. "Karl? I do not know anyone working here with that name. I do know a boy working in fishmonger with that name."

The maids looked at each other. "Do we even have a butler with that name?"

The gardener was confused, "There is something familiar about that name, but nothing rings the bell. Hmm... how do I shape this hedge again?"

Helena stopped asking about him before everyone questioned her sanity.

She went to her room and pulled the secret notes from the hidden shelf. Helena jotted down the new information on the paper. She made a poor scribble of Karl and wrote her conclusion on the corner.

Karl is a demon. He regressed my time on someone's behalf.

She closed the book and leaned against the chair. This never occurred in her previous life. Helena knew it was bound to happen, but she never thought the problem would be this complex. Her only clue was the word from Karl.

"Find information about Paradise Star."

Frustration piled up inside her mind. She held her head with both hands. "I cannot believe it. I am going to take advice from a demon."

Helena began her investigation about Paradise Star in Blackmoore's private library. When she found nothing in her research, she visited the public library. Even after rummaging through hundreds of books and asking people, she did not receive a result. Three weeks passed without any progress on her investigation.

Her father guessed her mind during lunch. "Helena, you barely eat your meal. Is there something in your mind?"

She only sighed and replied to him, "I am looking for information about Paradise Star, but I cannot find it in the library."

"Is this why you never go to any saloon?" asked her mother. Helena only nodded at the question. This conversation intrigued Melvin Blackmoore. "Must be something rather rare. Even I never hear about it. Do you want to check it in the royal library?"

Helena was stunned. "Wait, I can visit it?"

"Well, yes! You are noble. You only need to give identification proving you are Blackmoore."

Helena was speechless. She never expected her status would be helpful. The next day, Helena went to the royal library in the morning. The trip to the palace was short since Helena lived in the capital. Her heart beat fast when she gave the identification letter with Blackmoore's seal. The working officer read the paper and then smiled at her.