6. That Person

"I'm sorry, my Lady. I don't understand what you're talking about."

"Don't lie to me! I checked your background, but your family name and the village do not exist!"

"I am lying about my identity, but it's because I ran away from home. Please trust me, Lady Helena!"

His face was filled with worry and fear. Karl looked sad as his secret had been exposed. Helena almost got swayed by that act. If Helena did not know better, she could fall for it.

"I talked with Sister Mary before. She told you about Adham, but she did not mention anything about his occupation. Yet, this morning you said he was a merchant!" Helena grabbed his arm to prevent him from escaping. "Adham only changed his job on the first timeline. He remained mercenary on the second and present timeline. You know I returned to the past!"

"Ah, me and my big mouth. I guess I no longer need to hide my identity."

Karl finally dropped his kind mask. His gentle smile had turned into a mocking smirk. Helena released her grip and stepped back from him. What she saw next would forever be ingrained in her mind. Karl transformed into a monster right in front of her eyes. Two horns appeared on his head, a pair of black wings grew from his back, and his green pupil turned slits like cat eyes.

It was a horrifying inhuman appearance.

Helena had prepared a dagger before their meeting under her dress. She moved and stabbed the demon without hesitation. Much to her dismay, Karl remained unharmed. Helena was surprised to find the blade bent from her assault. She never predicted this and was terrified.

"You-you're not a human! What are you?"

He was laughing at her reaction. "What am I is not important." He showed his bare fangs. "Don't blame me, doll face. Blame the cult that brought me to this world."

Helena pushed him and fled to the door. It would not open when she twisted the knob. She did not remember locking the door. Helena slammed her body to force it open, but the door did not budge. Karl was pleased watching her struggle. He loved it when his prey fought back instead of begging for mercy.

That man pulled her arms and tossed Helena to the wall as if she were a ragdoll. Helena knocked against the wall quite hard and almost fainted. She forced herself to stand up, knowing she was doomed if she went unconscious. Helena decided to fight back since there was no escape. She threw any items next to her toward him. Karl laughed at her useless struggle.

"This is futile. Be good and- AAAAAAAA!"

Karl screamed in pain and rolled on the floor. Helena had just thrown a vial on the shelf. The phial, fortunately, shattered on his face. A puff of burned smoke appeared from the spilt liquid.

"WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GET A HOLY WATER?!"

Helena remembered the gift from Sister Mary. "Oh, so that's the content of the vial!"

She pulled a chair and began to assault the damned creature. Helena hit the poor lad while he was still lying on the ground. Karl shouted at her between the beatings. "Stop, hey, stop! I will tell you about your regression!"

Helena halted for a moment. "My what?"

"You returned to the past, right? I know what happened to you!"

Helena raised her eyebrows. This creature was suspicious, but she was curious. "How can I trust you?"

"You don't. It is up to you to believe me or not." He stood up and brushed the dust from his clothes. In a snap of a finger, he returned to his human form. "I've been using too much power, so I am rather weak."

"Yeah.... I never see a demon rolling on the carpet. It is a pretty pathetic show."

"Don't push your limit, human."

Helena still held her weapon. "Tell me everything you know."

He smiled at her. "Let's just say I'm the one who put your soul back to the time."

Her eyes widened. "What?"

"I've been summoned to this world through enormous sacrifices. Of course, the fucking amateurs did not prepare me any soul, so I escaped and wandered to find food. When I saw you, all I could think was what a tasty soul you have! A pure soul, as clear as water. So naïve, kind and generous. It was a rare soul that tasted like sweet cotton candy, which only existed in pure children. I decided to go undercover as a butler and target you as my prey. It was unfortunate how you dropped dead before I got you."

"Yeah, my sister killed me."

"I was disappointed when I saw your soul tainted on your second life. A vengeful soul tastes like muddy coffee. I eat so many of them that it kills my appetite. You were no longer my target, so I enjoyed watching the drama. You right now, however..."

Helena was frozen in fear. The demon touched her cheek and whispered his feelings into her ear. "Your soul is exceptional, the only one of a kind. A soul goes through redemption, kind yet merciless, prideful yet regretful, filled with determination yet exhausted. The experience between timelines grows your soul into something brilliant. It is a first-star meal that no demon has ever tasted."

She pushed him away. "You disgust me!"

He chuckled and floated away from her. "I am just stating the truth. Your soul looks delicious!"

"Why are you doing this? Why do you turn back my time?"

"Me? Oh no, you get it wrong. I might help you, but I did it on someone's behalf. A demon can only eat someone's soul if they give it up. You can create a contract or charm your victim to surrender. I only comply because I want to eat your soul. How unfortunate that Grim Reaper always catches you first."

Helena was stunned upon hearing this new fact. She did not know how her brain was supposed to process it. A chill crawled through her spine as dread crept into her heart.

Someone just gave up their soul to save her.

"I feel generous, so I will give you one more hint." Karl walked away from her. "Find information about Paradise Star."

"Wait!"

He stepped back and then jumped from the balcony. Karl flew away further from her sight. Helena watched him disappear in the night. After he had gone, she closed the door and looked up at the ceiling. The pale girl walked and slumped down to the bed. She reached for her pillow and screamed at it.

Nobody was going to believe her tale.