32. Ethel Blackmoore

Ethel Blackmoore was the only child of the family.

Her mother passed away during her birth. Ethel expected her father to resent her for his wife's death. Melvin Blackmoore, however, took care of her. There was no hint of bitterness in his action. Her father loved her just like she loved him. Ethel was content with a family consisting of her father and herself.

Everything changed on a cold winter day. Due to the lack of servants, the Blackmoore family employed new servants. Astrid came with her daughter to work as a maid. Her appearance was bewitching: black hair as ebony, white silky skin and red tempting lips. She was gorgeous. Even Melvin was captivated by that beauty during her first arrival.

Ethel realized her family would not remain the same. Her father began to meet the maid instead of working. He wandered around the house to speak with the new maid and gave her small gifts. The maid reciprocated his feelings with affection. It was clear that they had a close relationship.

Ethel's nightmare came true when her father announced his engagement with the maid. Of course, he asked her permission first. Her opinion was worthy of the matter. Ethel was about to object to their marriage, but she stopped herself. She did not have the heart to step on his happiness. Ethel saw how delighted her father was. She pretended to be happy toward his remarriage.

The maid's daughter became a part of Blackmoore. Ethel later learnt her name was Helena. She was a plain girl with a mature personality. Unlike her sensual mother, the daughter had ethereal beauty with deep emotion in her grey eyes.

Perhaps the child was well-behaved because of the circumstances of her harsh childhood. She was liked by other servants because she helped them with their jobs. Yet Ethel hated her new family. The maid and her daughter were nothing but a parasite for her. Ethel made sure Helena would never be happy in that household.

It was easy making Helena suffer. Ethel used her status as the owner of the house. She taunted the maids to harass and spread rumours about her. Helena did not fight back since she did not want to cause problems for her mother.

Ethel used her further influence as a noble to push Helena away. It was successful at first. Many noble ladies took Ethel's side. However, the favour slowly shifted away from her. Helena's knowledge, hard work and effort proved to be fruitful. She received the title "Saint of Angles Street" from people around Angles Street. The young lady transformed a slum into a better living place. Her achievement made it hard for others to insult her. Her background was no longer crucial since no noble could achieve her impressive feat.

Helena had changed after she went missing for one day. She did not cower or hide anymore. Any servants who showed contempt would be punished. She also got a new weird hobby of running and wielding a whip.

Ethel's provocation was futile since Helena ignored it. Everyone began to judge her one-sided behaviour. It was clear that Ethel harassed her sister. She lost some of her influence after some nobles learnt her true personality.

That night, Ethel could not sleep. She wondered about her behaviour the whole time. Ethel forced herself to forget about it and rest. She fell asleep until awakened by the sound of faint noises. Ethel was surprised when a stranger with a bloody cloak opened the balcony door. Her first instinct was to run and scream.

"Help-"

That man's movement was faster. He strangled Ethel and raised her body up like nothing. Ethel struggled by kicking her leg and hitting a vase in the process.

"DAMN IT, ETHEL! IT'S ONE O'CLOCK. WHAT ARE YOU-"

Helena and Eric gasped when they opened the door. She commanded her knight without a second thought. "Eric, get that man!"