33. Aftermath

"Young lady, are you perhaps a dunderhead?"

Duchess Vermillion called Helena for some tea after her house arrest was over. However, it was just a ruse for a scolding section. Helena looked down on the floor and accepted the lecture. She deserved it after barging into the cult by herself.

"We're grateful for your help with the password, but you should stop at that. I was shocked when you sent us that letter. I could not believe you were reckless enough to attend the Black Market!"

"I'm sorry..."

"Apologize won't cut it. What were you thinking? You could lose your life in there!"

Helena could not tell her the truth. Duchess Vermillion was a logical woman. She would not believe her regression story. Helena shifted the topic before the Duchess lectured her further. "What is going to happen to me now?"

"Well, you are free for sure. The list found by the investigation team was fake. We cross-checked it with some data in Sabbath, and it did not fit." Duchess Vermillion touched her head. "If only that damn brat discussed it first with us."

Helena almost spurted her tea. She could not believe she heard the Duchess cursing and calling Prince Ruby a brat. Helena wiped her mouth with a handkerchief before continuing the conversation. "Oh, right. What happened to the Greys after my trial?"

"Arrested. You were right. The couple was involved with the cult. Our investigation discovered a list of sold humans. Gold, jewellery and gems were found in their house. They had been apprehended because of your testimony. Prince Sapphire will take over the institution for the war veterans and elderly. He thinks it will be a waste to destroy the facility."

Helena was satisfied to hear it. The couple finally got to taste their own medicine. Speaking about the cult reminded her of the forged list. "That's a relief. How about the rest of the arrested people?"

"We are lucky that execution never happened." The Duchess looked distressed. "Most people set for punishment are neutral nobles or upstanding citizens. It would be a mess if the execution went on."

Helena was racking her brain. "Is it possible to have an enemy inside?"

Duchess Vermillion was furious that she broke the handle of her teacup. She clicked her tongue and put the broken cup on the table. Helena was frightened and made a mental note not to anger the older lady.

"I hate to say you are correct. The cult has infiltrated the palace. Otherwise, how could they tamper the list?"

"Perhaps the Duchess know the culprit?"

The noblewoman crossed her arms. "I have a guess. A knight from the investigation team gave the list away. Prince Ruby must think it was real to jump to action. He even pushed the King and nobles to punish these people."

Helena was upset hearing the information. She lost her life in the past because of this? How could Prince Ruby be that reckless? His mistake caused hundreds to lose their life and led to the worst riot in history.

"Where is that knight?"

"Ten feet underground. We found the knight dead several days after your trial."

Wrinkles appeared between Helena's forehead. "They sure work fast as usual."

The Duchess sighed and bowed her head. "We must apologize, Lady Blackmoore. You had been wrongly accused without concrete proof. The Crown Prince decides to give you compensation for your loss. What do you want? Gold, jewellery, land, or title?"

Helena was surprised. "How can I receive those things? It's too much!"

"People who wrongly accused receive the same compensation, Young Lady. We threw them into jail and tarnished their good name. Giving them something is the least we can do."