21. Ballroom Blitz (Part 2)

Helena could not believe Yale was the Crown Prince. She had been using informal speech toward him and was indifferent to him. He stepped down the stairs and walked in her direction. Helena must escape, but she was one step too late. Yale already called her name.

"Greetings, Lady Helena Blackmore."

Now everyone's attention gathered around them. Her chance to flee had gone. Helena turned her head toward Duchess Vermillion, asking for help through her eyes. She noticed her plea but ignored it by looking in another direction. Even the First Prince was too much hassle for the Vermillion.

Helena had no choice. She curtsied to greet the Crown Prince. "Greeting, Your Highness."

"I'm sorry. You must be shocked since the Crown Prince greets you out of nowhere. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sapphire Aurelius."

She swallowed her own saliva down on her throat. "What-what do I do to owe this pleasure?"

"I heard the Saint of Angles Street will attend this ball and want to meet her. I want to offer my personal gratitude for your hard work. Thank you for coming."

Whisper flooded across the dancing hall. Now almost everyone in the kingdom learnt about her title. Helena trembled in fear as she felt hundreds of gazes piercing her skull. This was not what she had in mind. That girl wanted to gain new acquaintances, not the attention of the whole kingdom!

"I hope it's not a burden, but I have a request."

Helena was relieved when she heard it. The First Prince just inquired about her assistance and had no interest in her. She might evade being bullied by envious ladies. Maybe Helena was not doomed.

"Can I have this dance?"

Nope. Helena was doomed, after all.

If she refused him, she would be ripped out for being disrespectful. If she accepted him, she would be torn by jealous ladies. Helena could even feel Ethel's wrathful glare at her. Either choice was awful, but the offence of rejecting the offer received a harsher punishment.

Helena accepted his offer with a heavy heart. "Yes..."

The music played a beautiful melody. Helena had a hard time enjoying the dance despite the ambience. She must focus on her movement to avoid stepping on the Prince's foot. One mistake and her life would be over. She would be the head of embarrassing headlines in the news.

"Remember your dancing lesson, Helena! Remember your second life!"

Helena made a mixed face of panic, confusion and nervousness. He chuckled at her expression. "Don't be alarmed, Lady Blackmoore. I am just doing this because Duchess Vermilion makes me curious about you."

"Your Majesty, you can just call me in private. This attracts too much attention."

"Oh, but isn't this what you need? I know about your struggle in high society."

Helena was dumbfounded. "How..."

She twirled and leaned back. He supported her body and whispered into her ear. "I have my spies on every corner of the kingdom. It was fascinating to hear a young noble lady looking out for cult information."

If Helena was an ordinary lady, her heart would flutter. After all, she was dancing with the Crown Prince of the Kingdom. Alas, his proclamation resembled a warning instead of a confession of love. It was his way of saying, 'I'm watching you'.