17. New Dress

Ethel was upset that Helena got the letter as well. She locked herself in her room after banging on the door. Meanwhile, Helena was perplexed by the unexpected event. She never accepted this letter in her previous life. Only one person could give her this invitation.

Nora Vermillion.

It was her reward. Helena never expected the present would be this huge. This was an opportunity to gain more acquaintances in high society. Helena ran to her room and sat in front of the desk. She wrote a letter to show her gratitude to Duchess Vermillion. It was a long letter consisting of three papers. Helena showed her appreciation through words. The reply letter came in a week. The content was a short and clear sentence, but it was grim.

"Don't disappoint me."

Helena was dreadful. She wanted to vomit blood from the answer.

She must prepare herself for the event. The entire estate was jolly because both daughters were chosen for the kingdom ball. Helena did not have a decent dress for Royal Ball, so her father gave her a pouch of gold to be used. Helena and her maids went downtown to buy new clothes.

Helena did not really like going to the boutique. Mr. Brown was courteous, but his word was as sharp as a knife. Helena lost count of how much she heard him nagging about her look. Even in her second life, where she spent her expense in the name of vanity, Mr. Brown still managed to nitpick her appearance.

Helena arrived at the place with her maids. The atmosphere was impressive and heavy. Were commoners passed the building, they would lower their heads in shame. Only wealthy people could afford to buy a dress here without going bankrupt.

"Long time no see Lady Helena Blackmoore."

That cold voice only belonged to one person. Helena could guess who it was. As usual, Oxford Brown always frowned when he saw her. He scanned her from head to toe and clicked his tongue. "With such an outfit, no one will think you are a noble."

"It's nice to see you too, Mr. Brown."

Oxford Brown was a man in his mid-twenties. He had dashing silver hair and light brown caramel eyes. He had a haughty and cold face. Mr. Brown might be a pain, but his ability as a tailor was top-notch. All of Helena's favourite dresses were made by his hand. In her first life, she wore a long beautiful empire waist dress embellished with ornamental flowers. In her second life, she wore a flowing bloody red dress with an open back to match expensive jewellery on her skin.

"So, what is the occasion? You only buy a dress if it's important."

Helena could not refute. She saved her money in case of emergency, so Helena never had excessive spending. After all, that girl had already lost a lot of money from the information guild. However, Helena received additional money from her father. She did not need to worry about spending that day.

"I get invited to the royal ball."

His eyes stared in disbelief. "I cannot believe a plain girl like you can get invited."

Helena replied to his jeer. "A white flower will stand out in the middle of colourful flowers."

"You sure know how to talk back now." He picked up his notes and pencil. "What kind of dress do you want?"

Helena was thinking about her gown design. It must be impressive but not stand out. Should she become an innocent-looking lady? No, she would lose by simply standing next to Ethel. Should she aim to be sexy? No, there were a lot of sensual ladies on the ball.