24. Miracle

Helena opened her eyes and found herself in an unknown place. The sky was grey, the trees were dead and twisted, and the soil was black. Helena moved between water as tall as her calf and shouted for help. "Hello? Is there anybody in here?"

Helena heard a sound from her back. Finally, she found someone in this place. Her relieved smile turned into terror. Helena saw a corpse walking toward her. Her whole skin was pale white, while some part of her body was rotten. There was a clear rope mark on her neck.

Helena recognized that person. It was the maid that hung herself on Helena's second life. The dead body spoke in a low, croaky voice.

"Why did you torture me? Why?"

Helena ran away from her. No matter where she moved, the scenery was always the same. More corpses appeared from the surface of the water. They were people she humiliated, tortured and abused in her second life. Helena fell when a hand grabbed her feet. Corpses crawled into her ankle and cursed at her with their hollow eyes.

"We will never forgive you!"

"AAAAA!"

Helena screamed and woke up in bed. She touched her painful head and observed her surroundings. This was not her bedroom at home. Helena tried to remember the last memory before she was unconscious. She remembered the striking pain and the blood spilt from her mouth. Her thought was cut off by the sound of a broken plate. A maid stood in her room and covered her mouth in surprise. She opened the door and shouted.

"She is awake! Everyone, Lady Blackmoore has woken up!"

There was a commotion outside her room. The knights and servants passed the news around the palace. Prince Sapphire barged into her room within a minute. He looked relieved at her condition.

"Oh, God. This is a miracle."

"Prince Sapphire, what just-"

"Don't move too much, Lady Blackmoore. You have just recovered from the poison. Call the doctor here!"

The royal doctor checked her pulse and her overall condition. He took a deep breath after finishing his check-up. "My Lady. You are lucky. The dose of the poison was so big that one sip could kill you! You had been conscious for a week!"

"I've been what?!" Helena was shocked after hearing one week had passed. "How about my parent?"

Prince Sapphire gave a hand sign. The doctor and the servants left the room. He answered her question. "We had informed them. Unfortunately, we could not move you because of your condition.."

"Is Lady Bronze all right?"

He was stunned by her question. She just woke up from a coma yet asked about the condition of the concubine. "She is fine, just a bit shocked. Heliodor is staying next to her side right now. He will be in here any minute. Before that..."

Prince Sapphire leaned to her face. His cold blue eyes glared at her. The piercing gaze made her frozen. "Answer me, Lady Blackmoore. How did you know the tea contains poison?"

Helena's body was trembling. She did not know whether it was from fear of almost dying or intimidation from the Prince.

"It-it had the same taste of poisoned tea I drank before. The poison from Crest Flower."

Prince Sapphire dug her information before. She heard both of the Blackmoore's daughters were poisoned. The case hit a dead end because they could not find the culprit or evidence. The Crown Prince stared at silent Helena. She was lost in her mind. If Helena did not attend the invitation, Concubine Elena would die. Yet, something more sinister appeared in her mind.