24. Sabbath

The letter was a fancy black envelope with a curvature pattern. A fragrance of pinewood emerged from the paper. Helena frowned when she smelled it. Pinewood was found in the forest north or northwest of Elivuris Kingdom. No one used it for letters.

Helena hesitated for a while, but she read the content. The letter was an invitation to Paradise Star's black market or Sabbath. It came with a map and dress code. All people must wear masks before entering the Sabbath to conceal their identity.

Helena was curious

about it, but the move was risky. Siegfried and Lady Vermillion had warned her. Anyone who incriminated to Paradise Star died or went missing. Helena scaled her advantages and disadvantages. It reeked of a trap, but the cult might contain a clue behind her regression.

Helena leaned against her chair. "Urgh, this is so frustrating!"

She must visit the damn cult.

"Azure and Scarlet, bring me the stationery. I am going to write a letter to the church."

The twin replied in unison, "Yes, My Lady."

Helena wrote the paper while tapping the desk. Violet sent the letter after Helena finished writing. Helena now had to move to the next task: find a mask. Masquerade party was popular in the past because they allowed the lower and upper classes to mingle. It was restricted later due to illicit activities among people like gambling, political assassination and clandestine affair wearing masks.

Helena recalled the Masked Man and the Sad Clown Mask. She understood why the mask was considered treacherous now.

Oxford Brown frowned when he received the task. "A mask? You're not going to do something illegal, right?"

"Uuuh, can you hide this from my family and servants?"

"Lady Blackmoore, you know how expensive a mask can be. Not to mention, this is a respectable store. It will be a problem if there is news of me creating a mask."

"Is that a no? Well, I guess it is too much for you. I will find another designer to make it."

The designer twitched his eyes at her childish provocation. "I'm not saying I cannot make it!"

"It is fine, Mr. Brown. You do not need to force yourself. Your skill must be limited to make a dress. Just admit that it is out of your ability. I understand-"

"No, I'll make you a mask. I believe in you since you helped Matthew."

Helena almost jumped on hearing it. "How do you know about that?"

"I should be the one who asked you that question. I visited my brother to see that he was badly injured. I was shocked to see him in that state."

"Did he tell you anything?"

Oxford Brown shook his head. "He refused. Something about confidential information. However, he said you saved him. Matthew asked me to keep it a secret."

She was relieved upon hearing it. "How is your brother's condition?"

"He needs more recuperation time, but he will recover. Matthew cannot stay in the capital anymore. They prepare to move him into a safer area."

"Does this mean you will make me a mask?"

"Gosh, you are so annoying. Yes, I'll make you a mask!"

The mask was hard to create, but Mr. Brown made it on time. He finished it the morning before Sabbath began. Helena visited his shop with an excited smile on his face. That smile changed into disappointment when she opened the box.