1. Rewind

Helena was a saint in her first life.

She had no magic or holy power. Helena only received the title because of her efforts through a donation to the church and involvement in many charity activities. People were grateful for her contributions. They gave her the nickname "Saint of Angles Street".

To be accepted by the nobility, Helena improved her knowledge and manners. At first, people sneered or ignored her, but the result never betrayed her hard work. Everywhere she went, praises and admiration from commoners always followed her. Albeit coming from a low background, the noble was impressed by her performance. The prejudice behind her birth was gone after she proved herself.

Her life changed after her mother died from poison. One by one, everything slipped out from her finger. The servants began to harass her after the mistress of the house's death, and the high society threw her out because of baseless rumours.

None of it was as bad as being framed for the crime she never did. Helena was arrested after multiple witnesses pointed their fingers at her. She still received guilty verdicts despite a lack of proof. An investigator who examined her case told the truth before he resigned because of guilt. One of the people who framed her was her step-sister, Ethel Blackmoore. She was the one who created a rumour about Helena and caused her to rot in prison.

Helena died in misery in her first life. On cold autumn, the guillotine cut her head.

She stopped thinking about the past as drops of water touched her skin. That woman looked up at the grey sky with empty eyes. The house must be in chaos because she disappeared without notice. She wandered for several hours and ended up roaming near the river.

The rain reminded her of her execution day.

Her feet slipped when she was about to take another step. Helena fell into the river and drowned. She could not breathe, but Helena did not try to save herself. She just wanted to feel at peace with her life. Feeling relieved about her condition, Helena closed her eyes.

"Finally, everything will be over."

That was what she thought until a splash of water slapped her face.

"COUGH, COUGH, COUGH!"

"Welcome back!"

Helena coughed and took a deep breath. She was more surprised to be woken in a rude way than to be alive. That woman was about to lash out but was taken aback by the figure in front of her.

Adam Whitesmithe was her lover in the first life.

Helena met him when she visited the orphanage. Both fell in love at first sight and soon got closer to each other. His muscles wrapped around her shoulder, his chestnut brown eyes stared at her with affection, his short black hair shone under the light, and his brown hand always tucked her hair to ear. They shared kisses and giggles underneath the warm sun and danced under the moonlight.

The lover did not receive a blessing. Her mother disapproved of their relationship simply because Adham was not well-off. Helena and her mother only managed to leave their pitiful state after her mother married a Count. Helena fought about it occasionally, but she understood her mother's sentiment. She did not want her daughter to return to the slum.

This did not break Adham's spirit since he was determined to change his financial situation. He wanted to remain by her side and give Helena an appropriate life. That man turned from a mercenary into a merchant. His trading business was a success with the help of her father's connection. Helena's mother had no choice but to give in. They finally became a couple after a long struggle.

Helena could never forget him as he was one of person who fought for her until the bitter end.

While she was convoluted by thought, Adham put the bucket on the floor. He kneeled next to her. "Don't you know how dangerous walking near the river during the rain is because the ground is slippery? You are lucky I saw you fall. "