22

Suyash stepped into Parvati’s mother’s place. The area exuded sophistication, with tall buildings stretching towards the sky, housing luxurious apartments. The streets were clean, lined with well-maintained trees and pretty shrubs. The society had well-maintained sidewalks and beautifully landscaped flower beds. He could hear the laughter of children playing in a nearby small garden, creating a peaceful melody of innocence and happiness.

Suyash reached for a bouquet of red roses from the car, and with the apartment number etched in his memory, he stepped into the building's sleek elevator. The ride up was quick, and soon he found himself standing before Parvati's door. When he pressed the doorbell. Narayani opened the door, her gaze assessing the man before her. She looked graceful with her black hair flowing just past her shoulders. Her eyes, a blend of curiosity and warmth, studied Suyash. She had heard about Suyash from Parvati and even met him once before, but having him in her home now felt like a special moment.

"Hello," Suyash greeted, his voice respectful. "I'm Suyash Mehra, Parvati ji's friend."

Parvati emerged from the hallway, her eyes gleaming with happiness. "Mr. Mehra, please come in."

Suyash smiled at her. 

“Yes, beta. Come in,” Narayani said, stepping aside to allow him entry.

Suyash stepped into the cozy living room—a  sofa set, family photos on the walls and the faint aroma of freshly prepared snacks lingered in the air, promising comfort and hospitality.

Suyash extended the bouquet toward Narayani. "This is for you, ma'am," he said.

“Beautiful flowers! Thank you, Suyash," Narayani accepted the gift with a genuine smile. "And don't be so formal. You can call me auntie. We're all family now—I'm your child's grandmother."

Parvati and Suyash exchanged glances, a sweet tension hanging between them. Their eyes met and quickly averted, cheeks tinged with embarrassment.

Narayani gestured toward the sofa. “Sit, both of you. Let me get some tea.”

As Parvati and Suyash settled down, Suyash noticed the framed family photos on the wall—a younger Parvati with her parents, laughing at the beach; another with her holding a trophy, her eyes shining with pride. He wondered how many stories those pictures held.

From the kitchen, Narayani observed Suyash. His smile radiated warmth, and his eyes sparkled with curiosity. He seemed entirely at ease, as though he belonged in this living room, and Parvati was clearly at ease and happy in his presence. Pouring tea into porcelain cups, a thought crossed Narayani's mind—wouldn't it be wonderful if her daughter married Suyash? 

Despite earlier attempts to encourage Parvati to move on, Parvati had always refused to do so. But now, with ParYash in the picture, Narayani felt a sense of hope. Seeing her daughter, a sweet and homely young woman, taking a bold step towards starting a family through insemination and giving her sperm donor parental rights, gave her hope that Parvati and Suyash could become a couple.