16

Chhaya had spent the entire day isolating herself in her room, with a mix of hurt and anguish reflecting in her eyes. As she was sitting on her bed, the memory of Parvati's slap echoed relentlessly in her mind. The sting of it, both physical and emotional, fueled the fire within her. How could her own sister-in-law, once a stranger, now wield such power over her life?

Chhaya had been the cherished youngest child, the family's darling, until that fateful day when Parvati stepped into their home as a daughter-in-law. Chhaya couldn't help but feel that Parvati had snatched away her title of being the apple of everyone's eye, which caused her to harbor even stronger resentment towards her.

“Chhaya…” Vinita’s motherly voice reached her ears as she stood at the doorway, holding a tray of food. 

Chhaya quickly wiped her tears and said to her mother softly, “maa, please leave me alone.”

Vinita walked into the room and set the tray on the table. “You haven’t eaten anything all day,” she said with concern. “I asked Shilpa to make your favorite pulao and raita.” 

Chhaya glanced at the tempting dishes, but resisted her hunger. “I’m not hungry, maa,” she lied. Vinita smiled sadly at her daughter’s anger. She sat beside her on the bed and gently stroked her hair. “Chhaya, I know you are hurt by Parvati’s action, but you shouldn’t have said what you said. She’s your sister-in-law. She’s older than you…” 

Chhaya interrupted her mother with a burst of frustration. “You still believe there’s nothing between Parvati bhabhi and Suyash Mehra?!”  

Vinita sighed and shook her head.“I don’t know, Chhaya. What Parvati is doing is completely wrong. She has taken the freedom we gave her for granted.” 

“Maa, just think what will the world say when Parvati bhabhi and Suyash Mehra raise the child together. What kind of friendship is this where a woman gives birth to a man’s child, raises that child with him, and yet, she says there’s nothing between them. Do you seriously think the whole world will believe Parvati bhabhi’s words?!” she asked incredulously. 

Vinita looked upset and said, “I know that, Chhaya, but what more can I do? I don’t support her and no one from this family will support her. I’m just so ashamed of her.”

Chhaya felt a surge of satisfaction seeing the anger in her mother’s eyes for Parvati.

“Let's forget about Parvati for now,” Vinita said, “today, I will feed you food with my hands." She scooped up a spoonful of rice and brought it close to Chhaya's mouth. 

Chhaya smiled and happily ate it. She gently took the spoon from her mother's hand and fed herself while Vinita watched her affectionately. 

"Do you want more?" Vinita asked once Chhaya's plate was empty. 

"I'm stuffed!" Chhaya replied, beaming. 

Right at that moment, Shilpa entered the room and said, "maa ji, Vikram and Malini aunty have come to visit you." 

"Vikram and mummy are here?!" Chhaya exclaimed, beaming with joy. 

Vinita was delighted to see her daughter's smile return. She said to Shilpa, "we will be there soon, please offer them some tea or anything they would like." 

Shilpa nodded and left the room. 

Chhaya climbed out of bed, fixing her hair and asked, "maa, how do I look?" She then glanced at herself in the mirror and sighed, "I look terrible! I can't possibly meet Vikram looking like this. I need to change, do my hair, and put on some makeup."

"You look beautiful, Chhaya," Vinita said with a chuckle. Even though Chhaya had spent the entire day crying and couldn't really focus on her appearance, she managed to look pleasing with her fair complexion and pretty cat-like eyes, and she was dressed in a salwar kameez.