10

Parvati made her way to the 10th floor of a fancy apartment building, where her mother lived. With excitement bubbling inside her, she pressed the doorbell, ready to share the exciting news.

When the door swung open, Narayani's heart swelled with joy, but she kept her emotions hidden. "Oh, it's you," Narayani said with a seemingly blank expression. "Did you accidentally end up here instead of going to the Agarwal house?"

Parvati walked into the apartment and smiled at her mother. She knew deep down in her heart that her mother was only pretending to be angry about her not visiting often. However, even if her mother was genuinely upset, Parvati believed she deserved it because she was at fault.

"Nobody cares about the poor old lady," Narayani said in a melancholic tone. 

"You're not a poor helpless woman, maa," Parvati said and giggled. "The dean of a prestigious business school where students tremble in fear in front of you, definitely doesn't fit the description of ‘helpless’ anyways."

A smile slowly spread across Narayani's face as well. She playfully said, "please don't don't portray me as some sort of scary person."

"Of course not! You are the best mother in the world," Parvati said before warmly embracing Narayani. Narayani returned the affectionate hug.

Parvati gently pulled back from the hug and made her mother sit beside her on the comfortable sofa. With excitement, she said, "maa, there's something important I want to discuss with you."

Listening attentively, Narayani responded with a smile, eager to hear what her daughter had to say.

Parvati shared, "I've made the decision to have a child of my own. So, I have opted for a procedure called artificial insemination."

What?! Narayani was taken aback by the unexpected news.

Parvati continued, "Mr. Mehra will be the sperm donor for my pregnancy. Not just that, he and I have decided to co-parent the baby together."

Mr. Mehra? It suddenly struck Narayani that her daughter was probably talking about Suyash Mehra. Parvati had always praised Suyash, sharing all the wonderful things about him to her. Narayani even had the chance to meet Suyash at a party once and was genuinely impressed by him.

Parvati shared all the details of the agreement Suyash had made with her. Then, with hope in her voice, she asked, "maa, I really hope you'll be there for me and support me through this decision."

With a warm smile, Narayani replied, "sweetie, you will always have my support."

Parvati's face lit up with joy as she knew her mother would be there for her every step of the way.

"But my dear, the path you've chosen won't be a walk in the park. Are you prepared to deal with criticism, judgment from society, or even a lack of support from your in-laws?" Narayani asked with genuine concern.

Parvati's eyes shone with confidence and she reassured her mother, saying, "don't worry, maa. I've made up my mind and I won't let anyone change it."

Narayani felt happy for her daughter. After a long time, she saw a glimmer of happiness in her daughter's eyes. All she cared about was her daughter's happiness, regardless of what the world would think about the decision her daughter had made. She lovingly said, "if this decision makes you happy, then I’m happy too."

___________________________________

Rishika's face lit up with a smile, and she gave Suyash a friendly hug. Suyash reciprocated with a gentle embrace. He was happy to have his friend back from California after visiting her parents. He was glad that she had returned just when he needed her the most.