18

Parvati's eyes slowly opened as she stirred from her slumber. She glanced at her phone to check the time before setting it aside and snuggling back under her duvet. She felt so exhausted, as if she could use just a little more sleep; this had been the same routine for her most of the mornings lately, struggling to find the energy to start her day.… but she couldn't afford to be late for office. She didn't want to give another reason for Gaurav to be upset with her. With a heavy sigh, she reluctantly pulled herself out of bed.

Meanwhile, Chhaya was putting the finishing touches to her makeup, applying a coat of glossy to her lips, making them shine. She smiled at her reflection, admiring her flawless skin, her natural frizzy black hair, and her lovely salwar kameez. She looked lovely, ready to rock the college. She grabbed her books and stuffed them into her backpack, slinging it over her shoulder. She felt a pang in her chest, as she remembered Vikram. She wondered if he had called or texted her. She had been crying for hours, texting and calling him, but he had ignored her. She was furious and hurt, but she still loved him. She wanted to hear his voice, to see his face, to feel his touch. She resisted the urge to check her phone, knowing it would only make her feel worse. But she couldn't help herself. She unlocked her phone and scanned the screen, hoping for a sign of him. But there was nothing. No missed calls, no messages, no notifications. Nothing. Her heart sank, and tears welled up in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away, and locked her mobile. She decided to act as if nothing had happened, as if she didn't care. She put on a brave face, and walked out of her room.

She entered the hall, where her family was gathered. They all looked up at her, and smiled. They were happy to see her, after the drama of last night. They had heard her sobbing in her room, and had tried to comfort her, but she had refused to open the door. They knew she was heartbroken, and they wanted to help her. But they didn't know how. 

“Good morning, maa. I'm leaving for college," Chhaya said, cheerfully.

Vinita and the rest of the family members looked at her with surprise and concern. They didn't expect her to be so cheerful, after what had happened. They wondered if she was hiding her true feelings, and how long she could keep up the pretense.

"Chhaya, are you okay?" Shilpa asked, concerned.

“I'm fine, Shilpa bhabhi. What happened to me?" Chhaya replied, with a fake smile. She didn't want to talk about Vikram, or her pain. She wanted to forget him, and move on. She wanted to show him that she didn't need him, that she was happy without him.

Everyone looked at her with worry, sensing that she was lying. They knew she was hurting, and they feared that she would do something rash, or fall into depression. They wished they could make her feel better, but they didn't know what to say or do.

"Maa, I'm leaving," Chhaya said, and headed for the door.

“Have breakfast, Chhaya," Vinita said, trying to stop her. She wanted her to eat something, to have some energy for the day.

"No, maa, I'm already late. I have to get there before the gates close," Chhaya said, and left.

Vinita sighed, and watched her go. She hoped Chhaya would cope with her heartbreak, and find happiness again.

“Maa, please don't worry, today we'll meet Vikram's family," Gaurav assured her.

Vinita nodded and said, "I really hope they understand us and rethink their decision."

Parvati came out of her room, and saw her family. She felt a cold stare from them. She knew they didn't like her choice. She knew they blamed her for everything that went wrong in their lives. And after everything that happened yesterday she felt like she had no place in their family, or in their hearts. She was an outsider, a burden, a curse. She walked towards them, and Gaurav said, masking his true feelings about Suyash's threat, "Parvati, you should stay home today. You're not feeling well and need some rest."