19

Chhaya smiled as she held Vikram's hand in the college canteen. They had just finished their classes and were enjoying a break. "I'm so happy, Vikram. Everything is finally settled between our families..." She said, her voice full of relief and joy. But then, a flash of anger crossed her face as she remembered the cause of their troubles. "I can't believe Parvati bhabhi and her lover Suyash Mehra almost ruined our relationship..."

Vikram felt a pang of guilt in his chest. He knew he had something to tell Chhaya, something that might change her feelings towards him or his family. He didn't know how to say it. He looked away from her eyes and tried to act casual. "Why didn't you tell me about Parvati bhabhi's pregnancy?" He asked, hoping to divert the topic.

Chhaya frowned. She hated talking about Parvati's pregnancy. It was a scandal that had shocked everyone in her family. "I was too embarrassed to tell you. She claims that she got pregnant through artificial insemination, but I don't buy it for a second. She's clearly having an affair with Suyash Mehra and her pregnancy is proof of it..." She ranted, her voice filled with resentment. "She says there's nothing going on between them, but Suyash Mehra will have all the rights and duties of a father to her child, do you still trust her lies?"

Vikram was taken aback by Chhaya's words. He had never heard of such a thing before. But he didn't really care about Parvati's personal life. He was more interested in his own happiness with Chhaya. He shrugged and remained silent.

Chhaya continued to vent her frustration. "Vikram, you have to listen to me. Bhabhi's shamelessness will destroy everyone's happiness, it almost destroyed mine. Our engagement was called off because of her, I hate her so much."

Vikram felt sorry for Chhaya. He knew she had suffered a lot because of Parvati's actions. He also felt sorry for Parvati. He knew she had helped him and Chhaya in a way that Chhaya didn't know. He decided to tell her the truth behind his parents' consent for their marriage. "Chhaya, we shouldn't be angry with Parvati bhabhi. In fact, we should be grateful to her. Because of her, we are together now."

Chhaya looked at him with confusion and disbelief. "What are you trying to say?" She asked, her eyes narrowing.

Vikram took a deep breath and prepared himself for the worst. "Suyash Mehra made a deal with my father. He said that if my parents agreed to our marriage, he would invest a huge amount of money in my father's company by buying its debt..."

Chhaya gasped and stood up from her chair. She felt betrayed and disgusted. She thought Vikram's parents were greedy and selfish. "So your parents agreed to our marriage because of money?!" She shouted, her voice echoing in the canteen. She glared at Vikram with hurt and anger.

Vikram also stood up and looked around. He saw that other students were staring at them because of Chhaya's outburst. He felt embarrassed and panicked. "Chhaya, everyone is looking at us..." He whispered, trying to calm her down.

Chhaya realized that she had made a scene and sat down. Vikram sat across from her, gently taking her hand to offer comfort and persuade her. "I know it doesn't look good that my parents changed their mind because of money. But why should we care about that? We should just be happy that we are together and think about ourselves only," he said.

Chhaya thought about it and felt that he had a point. She loved Vikram and wanted to be with him. She didn't want to lose him over something that was beyond their control. She nodded and smiled. "You're right, Vikram. We should be happy and thankful that we are together."

Vikram smiled back. He felt relieved that she agreed with him. He also felt grateful to Parvati and Suyash for their help. He wanted Chhaya to feel the same. "Chhaya, we should thank Parvati bhabhi and her boyfriend for their help. If not for them, we wouldn't be together now," he said, sincerely. "I know you don't like Parvati bhabhi, but I think you should let go of your anger towards her. Don't forget that she was the one who convinced your family for our marriage. And even now, she might have asked Suyash Mehra to help us."