Thirty One

Hanaina's POV

Nollani's having a bit of a tough morning. At first, she didn't want me to hold her, but once I got her in my arms, she wouldn't let me put her down. She isn't really talking, just nodding and shaking her head. I'm not sure what's going on in her head.

"Can you tell Mommy what's wrong, baby?" I ask, and she points to her chest. "Your chest hurts?" I ask, rubbing my hand over her chest, hoping to make it a little better. I'm wondering if she's feeling sick again, but she looks perfectly healthy. She pushes my hand away and points at her chest again, seeming frustrated. "Can you use your words, please?" I say, a bit firmly because I'm also starting to get frustrated.

"Heart hurts," she says so adorably, making some of my frustration fade.

"Why is it sore, bubs? What happened?" I ask, running my nails on her back. I see her eyes well up with tears, and she's avoiding eye contact.

"You no love me, you leaving me," she sniffles, laying her head on my chest. I have no idea where this is coming from. I don't remember saying anything that could possibly make her feel like I don't love her. In fact, I told her just how much I loved her before she fell asleep last night. She was in a good mood, so this isn't making any sense. It could've been a bad dream, that's my best guess.

"It's okay, baby, no need to cry. Was it a bad dream?" She nods, confirming my suspicions. Her little body's shaking like a leaf. I hold her tightly against my chest, whispering words of comfort. I lift her chin up, wiping away the tears on her face. "Do you know why you had that dream?" I ask gently. She shakes her head, her eyes full of curiosity. "Mommy thinks you're subconsciously constantly worried about me leaving you, and that's why you had that dream. I'm not going anywhere used" I tell her, planting a kiss on her forehead.

"Mommy not leaving me?" she asks, which hurts me because I can only imagine how many people have abandoned her when she needed them the most. Her grandmother and Hafsa are the only ones who have really stuck around for her. I know her mother's absence has really triggered her because she thrives around maternal figures. I'm doing my best to be the mommy she needs.

"Pumpkin, I'm not leaving you. Mommy loves you too much. I love you just as much when you're being a cheeky little girl." I say, tapping her nose. She looks up at me as if taking in every little detail on my face. I smile at her, rubbing my thumb against her cheek. She returns the smile, but it's accompanied by a glint of mischief in her eyes. "Lani!" I warn gently, receiving giggles.

"Mommyyyy!" she whines, pouting cutely at me.

"Tell me what it is, then I'll give you a fitting response." She smiles, giving me a kiss on the cheek just to butter me up. I just know she's about to ask for my whole arm.

"No school today," she says.

"No!" I get up, throwing her over my shoulder.

"I help Mommy at work," she says, kicking her feet.

"You've had enough work trips with me," I tell her, setting her on my hip.

"One more. I be a good girl," she says, giving me puppy eyes.

"Let's get you a bath, then I'll decide after."

"Otay."

"That's a good girl," I praise. I leave the room, going into the bathroom, filling the tub with water, and letting her add the toys she wants to play with. I'm struggling with a very independent little one who wants to take off her own clothes but can't get her nightie over her head. I sigh, pulling the nightie off and finally her diaper.

I set her in the tub. One minute I have everything under control and the next she splashes me and my shirt and pants are soaked. I'm about to give her an ear full but her little laugh softens me up. I shake my head accepting defeat. I notice her staring at my breasts but I shake it off. We decided that she isn't allowed breastmilk in the mornings because she gets milk drunk and gives me a tough time getting her ready.

"That's enough splashing for now little fish." I pull her out of the bathtub, wiping her dry. "Go get dressed, your clothes are on your bed." I say deciding to go dry my clothes in the meantime because I'm not picking another outfit. Nollani is singing at the top of her lungs which is a normal occurrence when she's in a good mood. I dry my clothes using the hairdryer and once I switch it off, I realise how quiet it is.

I quickly walk to her room and find her clothes untouched. Her froggy towel is thrown on the floor. I go into her playroom and she standing completely naked in front of her doll house. "Nollani!" I call her, and she's startled. I adjust my glasses over the bridge of my nose, peering at her above them. Experience has taught me I tend to intimidate people a lot more when I do that. "I asked you to get dressed. You didn't even bother to wear your underwear." She pouts not saying anything. "Come," I call her holding out my hand for her to hold.

"Two seconds mommy, I coming." She tries to negotiate. I lift my eyebrows and that does the job. "Not fair!" She whines folding her arms leaving me hanging. I follow her into her room, grabbing a pull up from the drawer. I walk over to sit on the bed to get her dressed. "No! want panties mommy!" She yells stomping her foot. I pull her in between my legs giving her bottom two swats.

"You don't stomp your foot at me, I gave you enough warnings!" I say looking in her eyes, noticing they're slightly glossy. I get her dressed quickly and sit her on my lap. I'm about to address the stomping issue but she doesn't let me say a word.

"Sowwy mommy, no more stomping. P'omise." She says leaning her forehead against mine.

"It's all good, lovebug. Thank you for apologising." I kiss her forehead. "I love you." I tell her.

"I love you too." She says melting my heart. "You decide now?" She asks. I'm puzzled for a second before I figure out what she's on about.

"Yes sweetie you can come with Mommy, only because you're so adorable and Mommy can't tell you no." I mumbled the last part. There's suddenly a loud screech. I hold the bridge on my nose realising it's going to be a long day. I do her hair quickly because we're already running late. I pack her breakfast so she can have it in the car to save time. I make myself coffee because I really deserve it this morning.

When we get to the office, Nollani doesn't even waste time, leaving for Latisha's office. A few minutes later my door swings open and I'm met with an angry Latisha, Nollani comes running after. I raise my eyebrows waiting for Latisha to say something. She folds her arms over her chest but I noticed her hands trembling.

"You didn't have to smack her, so what if she stomps her foot?!" Latisha says stomping her foot, testing me. I close the file I was looking at, standing up from my chair. I walk over to the two girls standing in front of me, towering over the both of them. Latisha places her hands behind her, I know she's protecting her bottom because she used to do the same thing while she was my little. Nollani shuffles slowly, hiding behind Latisha. I'm very amused by this little confrontation.

I place my finger under her chin, "Stomp your foot again and I'll show you 'so what'."