One

"Ouch! I swore I switched off the stove."

Living alone was the best decision I've ever made for myself. Well... besides the days where I had to remember to do things around the house, like switching off the stove. I loved living with my grandmother, the only downside was the fact that my dad lived under the same roof. That's a whole story for another day.

About me? Well I love food but hate making it so I end up eating and spending a lot of money on junk food. I can't really cook so junk works just fine for me, I'm my own boss. I have only 1 because I'm not too good with relationships. I'm soo glad that she still sticks around because I'm basically a nucklehead.

Hafsa, my best friend and only friend, had invited me to her birthday dinner. To say I'm anxious is an understatement. I'm usually fine around people of my age group not so much with older people. I'm used to being around Hafsa's mom so I'm fairly comfortable around her. The issue tonight is going to be meeting the rest of her family.

"Hafsa I don't think I'll be able to make it" I say fake coughing, hoping she'll fall for my tricks.

"Nollani! You'll need to do better if you want me to believe those lies sweetie." Hafsa says with a bored tone.

"Hafsa please... I'm too scared. I'll make it up to you, I'll take you out to your favourite restaurant and we can have the most fun ever and we can eat all the food in the w-"

"-NOLLANI! We! Are not doing that today" Hafsa says practically scolding me. How dare she.

"Why are you being mean to me?!" I whine through the phone throwing myself on the bed.

"Dramatic as always." She says and I can literally see her rolling her eyes through this phone. "You better be ready by 7 pm I'll be there 10 minutes before 7. Dinner starts at 8 pm, Lani I'm warning you if you're not ready..."

"But Hafsa..."

"No! Be ready or I'll tell my mother you're being a brat."

"Okay, you don't have to tell her all that. Why are you so bossy."

"Bye Lani." She screams in excitement and disconnected the call before I could respond. What a little bi-

*buzz*

I hear the dryer buzzing telling me it's done. Great now I have to fold the laundry. I'll just put them on the bed, I'll do that tomorrow. I swear. The day goes by with me just scrolling through social media. I get up to start getting ready 20 minutes before Hafsa arrives, not the best decision...

I pick out my new pastel pink dress and a matching ribbon for my hair. I'm not too sure what shoes I want to wear but I pick out Mary Janes and white ruffled socks. I pack my backpack because I'll be sleeping over at Hafsa's tonight. It won't be like our regular sleepover because there will be a few of her family members staying over.

After a quick shower, I lather my body with lotion and start getting dressed. Once I'm done, I try tying my hair into a high bun but it's just not sleeking down. I sigh in frustration, my arms are hurting. I look at the clock and it looks like Hafsa's a minute late.

"Now why are you still doing your hair!" I jump startled. Did I forget to lock the door?

"My hair isn't cooperating" I say looking at her and wailing in frustration.

"Here let me help" She starts working the brush and gel through my hair and before I even know it she done. My hair wasn't doing that for me, it's not even sticky from the gel. What in the witch-craftsmanship did she do to my hair. She puts my little gold earrings on for me. She pats my shoulders signalling she's done.

"Let's g- aww look how adorable you are" she says in an annoying babyish voice.

"Shut up! Why aren't you dressed? And why do you still have rollers in your hair?" I look at her puzzled.

"Well if you keep interrogating me I'll look like this for the rest of the night, LETS GO!" I drag myself behind her. She's so annoying!

When we get to Hafsa's House, there's a lot going on but the biggest takeaway is that it looks so beautiful. I wish my family cared this much about my birthday. I leave Hafsa to go get ready while I go to her mom to say hi and possibly help where I can.

"Hi Aunty Jasmine!" I shout excited to see her, I saw her like 2 days ago but who cares. She turns full force slightly alarmed by my sudden noise.

"Nollani!" She looks at me sternly before she embraces me in a warm fluffy hug. Well fluffy because, I mean... ugh whatever. "How are you my love? You look so adorable" she says cooing at me.

"Aunty Jasmine stoooop! I say feeling the warmth on my cheeks. She only chuckles. "Can I help you pleeease?" I ask with my hands intwined.

"Sure only if you promise to be carefull little miss clumsy" I hate when she calls me that but I don't do it intentionally. I responded with a quick nod before going in and helping her with the food. There were people working around the house, some decorating, others helping with setting the table and a few placing the ready made food on the table.

With everything almost done, guests start coming in bit by bit and eventually the house is buzzing with chatter and laughter. Before I get overwhelmed I leave to go find Hafsa. I walked into her room and oh my days was she beautiful. She was draped in a tight fitting sparkly dusty pink dress that went all the way down just above her ankles.

"You look so beautiful Hafsa!" I say holding back tears. I felt like a mom seeing their baby's first steps.

"Thank you my sweetie, now stop staring and let's go." I leave ahead of her so the spotlight is only on her and not the pair of us. As soon as she walked out everyone was in awe. She really deserves all this attention she's just so pure and so humble.

After she greets her family we move on to take our places at the table. I obviously sat next to Hafsa but the seat next to me was empty. That slightly made my heart sore because no one wants to sit next to me. Oh well whatever.

A few minutes later Hafsa jumps off her chair screaming "Aunty Naina" before she hugs the Naina lady. Aunty Jasmine gets up from her chair giving the unknown lady a hug. She's very beautiful I must say.

"Well you're very early Hanaina!" Aunty Jasmine says sarcastically making the lady laugh. I wonder if she's Aunty Jasmine's sister? Maybe her cousin? I shrug my shoulders going back to my plate of food.