He glances at April and despite his cool exterior, I can tell he is fighting an internal battle, just as I am.

But then he shrugs. "I trust her," he states, like it's just that simple. "You'd be surprised at the situations our girl can talk herself out of."

Our girl?

The growl that escapes me is low and deadly. I am sure my eyes are flooded with amber, just as I feel the clawing urge to change back into my wolf form and attack any vampire that I see—namely him. Tearing him apart would be so satisfying.

"Reed," April says severely, disappointment painting her features. "That's enough."

I turn away, scrubbing at my eyes, trying to get myself back under control.

Right now, the day after the mating ceremony, April and I should be locked away somewhere quiet and private, making love until we physically can't anymore and then lounging around whispering in each other's ears. None of this is happening the way it should be.

"Fine," I agree begrudgingly. "But..." I pin my gaze on Nikolai. "If something goes wrong, your first priority is getting April the hell out of there. Understood?"

He is smirking at me, like he finds this amusing, and it makes me want to strangle him with his own innards. "Understood, Alpha." His voice is mocking.

I glare at him. Nikolai Goncharov should worry a little less about surviving Wickham and a little more about surviving me.

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆

April

The day goes quickly. Mostly, I spend it with Nik in the cabin, positing theories surrounding Wickham's motivation for this entire scheme. None of them seem to fit quite right. Is it political? Is it vengeful?

"Did you do something horrible to him?" I question Nik.

"Nothing," he assures me. "Well...There was a small matter in the mid nineteenth century but–"

"NIk! If you got half of our pack killed simply because you were a dick to someone over a hundred years ago, then I swear to God I'll kill you!"

But he shakes his head. "There's no way he's still upset about it. It was a small prank Beatrice and I pulled. I was just curious if he would really burn in the sun."

"You are a monster. Get away from me." I kick him until he's off the mattress.

Reed returns with more fruit and water for me, though I'm hungry for something more substantial. Still, I certainly won't complain.

I'm worried about my mate, about the way he avoids my eyes and keeps his distance. He's grieving the loss of his pack and the loss of his father and I want to support him but right now, I don't know how. He doesn't seem to want to let me.

The sun begins to set and with the growing darkness comes increasing dread.

"It's time to go," Nik declares, holding out his hand for me. I let him pull me up and we walk outside together.

"I'll take her," Reed mutters, stepping toward me.

"It'll be quicker if I do," Nik counters. Which, to be fair, is true. Reed is as fast as Nik in his wolf form, but not when he's human. And he can't carry me while he's a wolf.

"Guys, it doesn't matter." They are being childish and right now we have more important things to worry about than our feelings. We can sort it out later, when the pack is safe and Wickham is gone.