Thirty-three.

-

Lavinia knew she'd attended some of the most extravagant parties one could imagine. She's been to so many she's lost count. But this, this was a whole different party.

The girls are taken aback by its grandeur. The décor is lavish yet tasteful, with elegant furnishings and delicate decorations adorning the rooms. Crystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling, casting a soft light over the space, while fresh flowers in ornate vases add a touch of color.

It was truly the party of the year.

While Josephine was introducing her niece to the performing pianist Jane and Lavinia take a walk around the huge room, the latter admiring everyone's outfits.

"Father told me Miss Josephine's company would be quite odd." Jane grimaced as they walked past a man dressed as a flower.

"Odd? It's amazing! They're all so carefree it almost feels..." Lavinia tried finding the perfect word, pausing as she looked around once again.

"Odd." Jane deadpanned, widening her eyes at the sight in front of her, "Lavinia. What are they doing?"

Lavinia quickly slapped her hand onto her mouth, using her other to grab Jane's shoulder, "Oh, God."

To add to their shock a woman dressed in blue toasted loudly, "To the most wonderful couple. My romantic ideal. Gertie and Jo."

"Hear, hear!" Everyone cheered back.

Lavinia didn't know what she felt exactly. Confusion? Worry?

Romantic ideal.

But they were two women. It's not possible.

"Do you think.." Lavinia nodded her head towards Josephine.

"Yeah." Her friend replied breathlessly, just as speechless as Lavinia.

"Gertie and Jo." Anne giggled loudly as she reached the two girls, oblivious to the mixed feelings and tension.

-

"I'm going to trade my puff sleeves for a top hat. Or maybe I'll wear them together! Because maybe that is me."

"I think it might be."

Anne and Cole conversed excitedly, talking about the party that was slowly ending.

Lavinia sat at the corner, playing with her food. She didn't feel well. How could after the revelation. She hasn't been exposed to people with those kid of preferences her whole life.

Anne turned to Diana, a huge smile painting her face, "Oh, and Diana, Cécile Chaminade, did she inspire you to play and play and play some more?"

"Aunt Josephine kept her lifestyle a secret. My parents certainly don't know." Diana sighed heavily, "That... must mean it's wrong."

"To my Gertrude. Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time. Forever you have my heart. Jo."

"Two women could never have children. It doesn't make sense." Jane mumbled, quoting her mothers words.

"How can you say that, when such beautiful words were written from one to another?"

Lavinia dropped her spoon harshly, her feelings becoming all too much, "It's unnatural, Anne!"

"If your aunt lived her life feeling something was wrong with her, that she was... broken, defective, or unnatural... then one day, she met someone that made her realize that wasn't true, there was nothing wrong with her, and she was... fine... shouldn't we be happy for her?" Cole explained softly, understanding where the three girls were coming from.

"I think it's spectacular. There's so much more possibility." Anne spoke dreamily.

Lavinia ignored everyone else as she pondered on the last sentence. Her mother was wrong about many things, it wouldn't be so surprising if she was wrong about this too.

Shaking her head, Lavinia decided to mind her business. It was Josephine's life and she was never one to judge. Or at least she changed for the better. If the older woman was happy then there's nothing Lavinia could do about it.

-

The following day all five of the kids hurriedly packed their bags, late to their train by a few minutes.

With quick goodbyes sent Miss Josephine's and Rollings' way, the group left and sat in their compartment.

This time was different. All three girls weren't disturbed or bothered. They were happily discussing about the party with the other two, huge smiles on their faces.

They all learnt something.

How can there be anything wrong with a life if it's spent with a person you love?

-