Twenty-eight.

It was another day of school, with Lavinia growing irritated with every stupid question asked.

She hated it. She seemed to hate everything these days.

"Prissy says that his mustache was scratchy, not soft."

"Oh," Was all Lavinia could muster up at the previous sentence.

"What does Cole, peeking out of the coats like that, remind you of?"

"I don't know."

"An owl tucked in the hollow of a tree. He's so dedicated to his art, really cultivating his imagination."

"He's very handsome, isn't he?" Ruby sighed with her eyes focused on Cole.

"You can't like all the boys!"

"Sad and handsome."

"The poor thing could use some cheering up." Josie smiled at them before heading Cole's way, "Hello, Cole. I just wanted to say I think it's too bad our game ended before you could have your turn. I suppose I could break the rules and allow you to kiss me now."

"No, thanks."

Lavinia covered her mouth with her hand to not chuckle loudly. If she was in Josie's place, she would leave the school and never return from embarrassment.

"What's wrong with you?! Don't you like girls or something?"

Cole merely shook his head, not looking up from his drawings, "I don't like you."

"Cole is a freak!" Josie shrieked as she pointed at him

"No, he's not! If anything, you're the freak." Lavinia glared back at her, heading towards Cole's way.

Anne was fuming at the blonde, "Josie Pye, you take that back! Cole is my friend!"

"Then it's a match made in heaven." Josie huffed in annoyance, heading to her seat.

Lavinia glanced at Cole, watching as his eyes never left the ground.

Her heart broke as she wrapped her arms around him, "I'm sorry, Cole. You're not a freak."

"No, Lavinia. I know I am," He muttered bitterly.

-

Lavinia was sat in front of her vanity, with a maid behind, who's been wrapping her hair roughly before she went to sleep.

"Could you please be gentle," She glanced at the women, as she winced slightly.

"The more you complain, the longer it will take to finish these ringlets."

Lavinia turned to face her mother, watching her stern face. Showing no emotion at all.

"Mother, could I just have my normal hair tomorrow." She held back tears at what felt like her hair ripping out.

"We can't have you looking like a mess in front of people, can we?"

Lavinia didn't stop pleading, "But my hair would be put together, not a mess."

"Yes, it would. Instead of complaining, learn to be grateful you have a mother who's securing your future for you."

"Securing my future?" Lavinia gave her mother a confused look, wincing once again as the maid tugged at her hair.

"Beauty is what men look for in their wives, and beauty is power."

"But I'm only 15, mother." Lavinia gulped as she felt her throat tightening.

"It is never too young to start looking for a husband," Her mother feigned a sweet smile, "Now, get some sleep. You look tired, and that won't do."

-